Seafoaming for the first time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoaming for the first time!

Hey all- finaly got around to picking up a (recommended) can of Seafoam. Plan on doing the process on my 2001 3.8 Camaro. Any tips/suggestions/how to hints?

thanks

robby
    Robby
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
    sigpic

Re: Seafoaming for the first time!

I've heard horror stories about putting it in your oil, so I've never been brave enough to do it myself. Ran some through the gas and brake vacuum and never really noticed a difference, and this is on a 130k engine, so I'm not sold on the stuff.

Comment

I heard it will make your rockers sticky, never done it either
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I'd say depends on how many miles on your rig. If there are very many I'd not do it in the oil because sometimes your engine wears on stuff thats stuck in there and breaking it loose can cause strange things to happen.

Just follow the write up on ls1tech is the best thing to do. But I did mine for the first time @ ~65k miles and blew smoke like it was my job...talk about a dirty freaking intake. I also don't have a cat though, so if your cat is working properly you probably wouldn't see a ton of smoke.

My only real tip though is having a friend handy to keep the car running while you're pouring it in the brake booster line, and then have him/her just let it die when you finally want it to (when you dump the last bit in in a hurry to kill it on purpose.)

Comment

im going to try it out tomorrow for the first time, through the brake booster line and gas tank
          Robby

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, pretty straight forward stuff really, make sure to let your car warm good before you do the intake, and let it work its magic for ~15 minutes after you get it all in there before starting back up and going for a drive, you should see better results that way.

Then enjoy stopping traffic. :D

Comment

hahahah thanks for the advice!
              Robby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
                I've heard horror stories about putting it in your oil, so I've never been brave enough to do it myself. Ran some through the gas and brake vacuum and never really noticed a difference, and this is on a 130k engine, so I'm not sold on the stuff.
                I would not be concerned about this at all. Love Seafoam! :burn:

One can of Seafoam in my crankcase flushed the dirty crap out of mines and that was @ 150K back in 2004. Once a year I do this procedure plus fogging the intake before the annual spark plug swap.

Fast forward to 2011, my Camaro still singing @ 338K today. 400 plus miles to the tank in the summer running on Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I throw in a can into the tank once a month with decent results in mileage and passes the biannual emissions test on the same catalytic converter which I have not touched since December 2004.
                Last edited by 96RS Alex; 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM. Reason: Seafoam is the best !
                Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
                  I would not be concerned about this at all. Love Seafoam! :burn:

One can of Seafoam in my crankcase flushed the dirty crap out of mines and that was @ 150K back in 2004. Once a year I do this procedure plus fogging the intake before the annual spark plug swap.

Fast forward to 2011, my Camaro still singing @ 338K today. 400 plus miles to the tank in the summer running on Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I throw in a can into the tank once a month with decent results in mileage and passes the biannual emissions test on the same catalytic converter which I have not touched since December 2004.
                  what a beast!
                  1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                  1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                  1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                  2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

just did the seafoaming this afternoon, WOW! tons of smoke, and my car feels a million times better
                    Robby

sigpic

Comment

Seafoaming is the best.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X