Performance and Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance and Temperature

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm starting to notice some quirks with my Firebird. When the weather gets above 75, my bird starts performing ~noticeably~ better. The exhaust note sounds less raspy, and it pulls harder and faster. It seems to absolutely relish hot air temps. I was always under the impression that engines preferred cooler air. I'm starting to wondering if my intake temp sensor might be faulty somehow, though I don't get any engine codes. Do our engines just love being toasty? I have a Chrome Intakes CAI, and run a 160 degree thermo, for reference.

Re: Performance and Temperature

You have a problem. Cold air makes power.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Where should I start looking?

Comment

yes cold air makes power but heat in the block has to be a certain temp before fuel will detonate properly i would suggest higher temp thermo

Comment

my 3.8 liked to be a little warmer....actually ran a bit quicker at the track wen coolant was 195, then when it was at 175

Comment

Mine seems perkier when the engine has only been running for a couple of minutes. Then once it warms up it's back to normal. It's always been like this since new. I attribute it to the iron heads not handling heat as well as aluminum ones would.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

can someone remind me why I'm using a 160 degree thermo instead of a 195 in my 3.4L V6?

Comment

to keep your engine cooler......id never do a 160, v6 or v8, especially on a DD. thats me though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X