Is my tensioner bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my tensioner bad?

In the process of fixing the wiring on my a/c I had to remove my alternator and thus the serpentine belt.

After putting it back together and driving it the belt squeals badly. Its happens when leaving from a stop and I absolutely can't turn the a/c on.

I removed the belt again to check all of the pulleys and they turn fine.

I've had tensioners go bad on other cars but it was always pulley bearings going.

My question is do the springs in the tensioners get weak on our cars after a period of time? I'm thinking this may be the problem. Is there an amount of torque that should be required to move the tensioner?

I don't think the belt appears quite as smooth when it is running as it should as it seems to flop around a little. There is also no sound of bad pulley bearings anywhere.

Re: Is my tensioner bad?

The tensionor does get weak and will start to fail. Just press down on it by hand and see if you can move it.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

It pushes down easily by hand. I'll replace it. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

*UPDATE*

I replaced the tensioner and it didn't help. It turns out the belt NAPA gave me is too long.

It wasn't the counter guy's fault. Their computer system is wrong. They list two belts for this application.(3.4 with a/c) One is 77.815 in. and the other is 78.04 in. They are both too long.

After checking the specs on belts at other stores they all show belts that are 77.56 in.

So I put the old tensioner back on with the proper size belt and the problem is gone.

So FYI, if you go to get a belt at NAPA you need to ask for the proper size belt and not the one their computer wants to give you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X