Egr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egr

So I pulled the egr after getting a p1406 code (comes back after 30 miles or so of clearing). Should have done this weeks ago as it took all of 5 mins if not counting the time to put up the canopy over the engine bay (lots of thunderstorms today). The plunger moved rather freely so I am thinking maybe the solonoid itself got fried as the exhaust was backing up due to clogged cat. Soaking it it cleaner tonight and i'll go over it with a brush and pick tomorrow anyway. I figure I'll check the resistance of the egr pins tomorrow just to see if that is wacky. Anyone know what it is supposed to be? Not sure exactly where I'd look that up. Once I'm done i'll put it back, clear the code and head to auto parts store to get supplies for cat replacement. Anyone know the ID and OD of the pipe going into and out of the cat offhand? I need to fit a 3" cat up.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Re: Egr

Well I cleaned it out yesterday. Plunger seemed to move pretty good before. I think it was seating better in the closed position but time will tell. Reset the codes before I set off to find a 3"-2.5" reducer to complete parts list for cat replacement. Also had a 0147 02 sensor code which i'm guessing is from the post cat 02 as its getting very little exhaust flow at this point, and a 0441 evap code. While under the car I noticed what I thought to be a fuel type line very loose in a rotting gasket. It was grouped with 3 other lines. 3 of them went up into the engine bay as plastic lines and one was metal and went up earlier. I should go take a pic, but I'm guessing it is part of the evap circuit as I didn't smell or see fuel in it.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Well the cat replacement isn't going well. Can't get either the Y-Pipe bolts off or the bolt on the clamp after the s-pipe. I'm thinking I can prolly just cut the clamp off with a cutting disc on the angle grinder but not sure what to do about the y-pipe bolts. I feel if i get a longer ratchet i will snap the bolts off and Its not like there is a ton of space up there to go sawing things apart.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of just taking it to an exhaust shop at this point.

Comment

Over my many years of working on cars, I've come to the realization that most exhaust work isn't worth the trouble, compared to what you'd pay at the shop. Exhaust is a PITA.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

The work isn't terribly expensive at a shop if you find a decent one. It's really not ~difficult~ to do, but having the lift and the tools makes a huge difference, especially if stuff needs to be welded. My bill at a shop ended up being about $400, and that's including the cost of parts, for a complete headers down set up.

Comment

I just recently had an issue (not with my cat, but with leaky/bad pipes around it) and I took it to a place called action muffler. They cut out my cat, replaced a 8 inch section with a new 02 sensor bung and installed all new pipe from the cat back AND a new muffler for $220. Can't beat that with a stick. (best part is I didn't have to even get my grinder out..lol) I dunno if theres anything like that near you in NY, but if you search around enough, I'm sure you'll find someone that will make it worth your time to just open the wallet up and take it to 'em.
            Good Luck!
            ~Mike

Comment

I suppose if I wanted to do my exhaust myself I should have accepted the fact that after 15 years its likely gonna be a real pain in the *** to take off. I did the muffler 4-5 years ago which wasn't too bad - chop off bad one and clamp on new one. I didn't want to clamp a cat replacement (read somewhere that is not recommended) and am not good enough with the welder to do it without being able to drop the mid exhaust assembly (also don't like the idea of being under something I'd be welding). If i wanted to do it myself i should have gotten headers with new y pipe and just cut everything else off (assuming i could get the exhaust manifolds unbolted).

For now I suppose I will call around and find somewhere willing to fit the cat and z28 exhaust I have up together for a decent price. I wish I came to this conclusion before buying all the stuff - but tools are always nice to have around..

Comment

Yes, agreed, exhaust work is simple in concept, but usually horrible in implementation with rusted parts, parts not fitting, multiple trips to the parts store, improper tools, inability to weld, blah blah blah. Precisely why I gave up exhaust work.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Well got the car back last night. (I procrastinate) I had a z28 takeoff and magnaflow cat that I had the shop put on. I should have been more specific as he left the section from the over axle pipe to the cat 2.25" and it looks like the kind of job I would have done (sloppy welds and lots of white goop). As a result the exhaust tone is not what I was expecting but its different.

The main thing is it finally has power again and doesn't make the hissing noise from my clogged cat relief hole I created!! Shop couldn't get old O2 sensors out so I have new sensors (got rid of the 02 sensor heater code finally). Last weekend I had repaired the evap line so that code appears to be good. EGR code is pending again so It looks like that is going to throw a code again will need to be replaced.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X