Coolant smell inside car/windshield misting - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant smell inside car/windshield misting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant smell inside car/windshield misting

Hi
    1995 3.4 Firebird
    Yesterday I noticed I could smell engine coolant from inside the car (I had just driven 90 miles or so at an average of 70mph or so). Stopped and looked under the bonnet (hood) and no steam or dripping from anywhere so went home. Looked in the rad this morning, no coolant level drop so I thought little of it (apart from that the coolant is a rusty red colour). On the way to work this morning (about 35 miles, medium traffic) I noticed the same smell and then after about 15 miles the windshield starting misting up from inside so I stopped, looked under the hood again, still no drips or steam (but I couldn't take the rad cap off because the engine was hot). Carried on, windshield still misting and I had to blast it with the blower on cold to clear it, but if I turned the blower off it misted up immediately again.
    Got to work, went out at lunchtime to check the rad and it's a pint down now. Still no sign whatsoever of drips under the car so I have to assume it's somewhere higher up and the fluid is evaporating before it hits the ground. But where from? Any clues as to the likely candidate area I need to look at to fix it?
    Thanks
    Malc
    Last edited by malc_p; 05-16-2011, 08:07 AM.

Re: Coolant smell inside car/windshield misting

Heater Core possibly?I know in my 3rd gen it leaked hot coolent on the passenger side of the interior. Dont know if its located in the same area on the 4th gens? Its like right on the firewall behind the dash on the passenger side.
    Jeff ..
    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

...as I suspected, 1998sb. Anyone got any hints, gotchas and so on before I try this? Do I need a couple of hours tonight or a couple of days over the weekend?

Comment

IDK how long it takes on a 4th gen or if it is even the issue. I am just saying on my 3rd gen it was and it took about a 1 1/2 hour to remove and bypass the heater core untill I got a new one..
        Jeff ..
        1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
        2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
        1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
        http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

it sounds like the heater core to me.... its not that hard to do, just annoying. Check under your glove box for the smell, does your heater work?

HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System in Cooling System.
          Remove the heater hoses assembly.
          Remove the heater core tube clamp bolt.
          Remove the heater core tube clamp.
          Remove the heater core shroud seal.
          Remove the heater rear case bolts (2).
          Remove the heater rear case.
          7.1. Side the heater rear case downward in order to disengage the upper case clip.
          7.2. Remove the heater rear case.

Remove the Instrument Panel (IP) compartment door.
          Remove the heater core clamp bolt (3).
          Remove the heater core clamp.
          Remove the heater core (1).

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Install the heater core.
          Install the heater core clamp. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
          Install the heater core clamp bolt.
          Tighten
          Tighten the heater core clamp bolt to 1.8 N.m (16 lb in) .

Use the following steps in order to install the heater rear case.
          4.1. Slide the heater rear case upward into position until the upper clip engages.
          4.2. Engage the snap on the left edge of the heater rear case to the distributor case.
          4.3. Install the bolts to the heater rear case.
          Tighten
          Tighten the heater rear case bolts to 2.0 N.m (18 lb in) .

Install the heater core shroud seal.
          Install the heater core tube clamp.
          Install the heater core tube clamp bolt.
          Tighten
          Tighten the heater core tube clamp bolt to 2 N.m (18 lb in) .

Install the Instrument Panel (IP) compartment door.
          Install the heater hoses assembly.

from alldata website

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

HUGE TIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure to get it tested before you install it or you could be doing it multiple times like I did!!!

It is definitely your heater core because the first one that went in my 3rd gen didn't pour any fluid on the ground it was evaporating on to my windshield.

Originally posted by 1998silverbird View Post
            IDK how long it takes on a 4th gen or if it is even the issue. I am just saying on my 3rd gen it was and it took about a 1 1/2 hour to remove and bypass the heater core untill I got a new one..
            Ughhhh I remember doing it on my '86 T/A it took 6 hours the first time, and 4 hours the second time, then I paid someone to do it the third time.
            Last edited by KJZ28; 05-16-2011, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah it's the heater core. To me, looks like a couple of hours' job; I have the glovebox off and the trim panel underneath, took 5 minutes. Took the blower cover off, another 5 minutes. There seem to be two clamps above the passenger footwell for the core which should come off easy. Main problem will be geting to the hose clips in the engine bay, which of course are obscured by the aircon canister and various cabling and hoses and suchlike; plus there'll be the clamp that sits between the hoses; all that *will* be a *****.
              Here in the UK I did some looking around for a replacement core; best price I got was £135 UK (that's about $222 at current rates), onto which I would have to pay 20% purchase tax plus delivery, call that the equivalent of $300 all told. So I got out my Summit catalog and I'm getting one delivered from the states for $126 all found. I tell you guys, we get a crap deal over here for US spares!

Comment

I bet. European parts aren't cheap here either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X