Parking Gear Won't Engage :-\

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Gear Won't Engage :-\

I have a 1997 Camaro V6 automatic. I might be using the wrong terminology here... ...but when I try to engage the parking break, it won't click into place. The car just starts rolling like it's in neutral. This has been happening for a few days, and I've just been using the E-Break when I park. ...but today, it didn't shift into reverse first try. soooo....

I checked the transmission fluid and it was way low - I refilled it and drove around for a bit. it shifts smoother, but if I try to put it in park and hold the shifter there, it'll go *click**click**click* as it begins rolling.

Is my transmission shot? :( I can do without a parking break, but if it won't shift into reverse or through the gears properly, it looks like I'll either have to spend a few grand on a new transmission or a "new" car.
    Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Re: Parking Gear Won't Engage :-\

Your terminology is a bit off. The parking brake is the same as the emergency brake (the lever that clicks as you pull it up.) You are talking about 'Park' on your gear selector, and unfortuately this is probably a transmission problem. There is a mechanism inside the tranny that stops the output shaft (driveshaft) from turning when you put it in Park. That mechanism may be worn out.

On cars with column mounted shifters, there is a linkage that can come out of adjustment and cause the same problem (doesn't let the tranny fully engage into Park.) I'm not sure if that adjustment exists on floor mounted shifters, or not. Mine is a manual, so hopefully someone here with an auto can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottS4050 View Post
      Your terminology is a bit off. The parking brake is the same as the emergency brake (the lever that clicks as you pull it up.) You are talking about 'Park' on your gear selector, and unfortuately this is probably a transmission problem. There is a mechanism inside the tranny that stops the output shaft (driveshaft) from turning when you put it in Park. That mechanism may be worn out.

On cars with column mounted shifters, there is a linkage that can come out of adjustment and cause the same problem (doesn't let the tranny fully engage into Park.) I'm not sure if that adjustment exists on floor mounted shifters, or not. Mine is a manual, so hopefully someone here with an auto can chime in.
      Assuming that that gear is worn out, is it irrelevant when it comes to driving, etc? I don't ultimately care about the park on my gear selector, so much as what problems with it might represent. Thanks :)
      Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

As far as an automatic transmission is concerned there is a linkage that shifts the trans from the floor shift, it is a cable that can get bound but this does not sound like the problem you are having.

The internal gears of the tranny are the same between park and neutral with one exception, when you shift into park, a "parking pawl" is applied to the output shaft that keeps it from spinning, thus locking the wheels in place.

It does sound like your parking pawl is either warn to a point that it is barely touching the output shaft, or is not fully engaging, thus why you hear the clicking noise.

The fluid being so low is another problem, you may have a leak somewhere, how many miles?

Comment

Originally posted by timthescarred View Post
          As far as an automatic transmission is concerned there is a linkage that shifts the trans from the floor shift, it is a cable that can get bound but this does not sound like the problem you are having.

The internal gears of the tranny are the same between park and neutral with one exception, when you shift into park, a "parking pawl" is applied to the output shaft that keeps it from spinning, thus locking the wheels in place.

It does sound like your parking pawl is either warn to a point that it is barely touching the output shaft, or is not fully engaging, thus why you hear the clicking noise.

The fluid being so low is another problem, you may have a leak somewhere, how many miles?
          80k miles. I checked for leaks after refilling the fluid and didn't see any. I think it just got so low because I did a crappy job of checking the levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleicvitriol View Post
            Assuming that that gear is worn out, is it irrelevant when it comes to driving, etc? I don't ultimately care about the park on my gear selector, so much as what problems with it might represent. Thanks :)
            As long as your parking/emergency brake is working well enough to keep the car from rolling, you could probably drive the car forever without 'Park' without any adverse effects (that's assuming there isn't another underlying problem.)

I would recommend taking it to a tranny shop and getting their advise (of course they will tell you to fix it.)

Comment

driving a 4l60e low on fluid for just a couple miles can be catastrophic. keep the fluid level where it needs to be be, go for a drive. If it doesnt return to normal...then going to a shop is your best bet

Comment

Originally posted by ScottS4050 View Post
                As long as your parking/emergency brake is working well enough to keep the car from rolling, you could probably drive the car forever without 'Park' without any adverse effects (that's assuming there isn't another underlying problem.)

I would recommend taking it to a tranny shop and getting their advise (of course they will tell you to fix it.)
                There's one minor problem... The trans shifting into Park is required to pull the key out of the ignition... While you can turn it off safely in Nuetral, it won't allow the key to come out.
                1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                  There's one minor problem... The trans shifting into Park is required to pull the key out of the ignition... While you can turn it off safely in Nuetral, it won't allow the key to come out.
                  Wrong. Only the gear selector needs to be in Park to get the key out. Transmission doesn't even have to be in the car and makes no difference.
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X