Low Oil Pressure Question, quick onset, Weird Symptoms - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Oil Pressure Question, quick onset, Weird Symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low Oil Pressure Question, quick onset, Weird Symptoms

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
    Ive heard of people using naphtha.
    The MSDS for Sea Foam states it is made of pale oil and naphtha. So it gets used more than one would think.
    sigpic

Comment

Assuming that the oil pickup screen is covered in sludge, it seems like it would make sense to drain the crankcase and fill it with a couple of quarts of seafoam, naptha, or whatever is recommended, and let it soak a while (a couple of days maybe?) to break up the sludge before starting it again. Then add oil and start it up, and plan on replacing filters like crazy for a while while the sludge works its way out.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

ickkk

use some stp oil treatment when you restart it also
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

what filter is that?...fwiw I'm going to try and cleanup the neon that I have so I'll be picking up powerfoam and an oil flush from Amsoil shortly (basically seafoam and an oil flush),...may want to try something like that...but I would think your pickup is probably sludged up bad as well.
          Last edited by LETZRIDE; 05-03-2011, 09:56 PM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            what filter is that?....
            The filter was an AC Delco PF52, the long version of the pump GM recommends which I think was the PF51.

To me, the way the engine is acting it is definately sludge. I probably have more money then sense, but I'm having the oil pan dropped and the front cover removed and oil pump and oil bypass valve and spring replaced. It will run me about $750 out the door. Every symptom I have witnessed points to these two actions fixing the problem. I may be wrong, but I have to go with what the symptoms are telling me. If it fixes the car I can probably sell it for $4K or so, if not in a $1-1.5K roller. I could of tried the less expensive fix of using additives like seafoam, Gunk, ATF, etc, but I have heard mixed results and believe it is only best as a last resort. Who knows if the pump and pan don't fix it I will drop in an addative as I will then have absolutely nothing to loose. Thanks for The advice and I will post the results.
            Last edited by solocus; 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Well getting it mechanically cleaned out is definitely the best, albeit most expensive, way to go. Good luck.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                Well getting it mechanically cleaned out is definitely the best, albeit most expensive, way to go. Good luck.
                Sounds like I got lucky, the repair shop reported great oil pressure from cold idle to hot idle and at high RPM. They said it had about 1/4 inch or sludge in the bottom of the oil pan, but the main issue was a heavily sludged/carboned up oil pump sump screen. I will post pictures of the sump early next week. Now that the oil pressure is good, the shop is a bit worried about the sludge on the top end breaking up and eventually causing a problem.

Comment

Picture of the sump as promised albeit a bit late. Anyway, car is running great!

Comment

Wow that's nasty. Glad to hear there does not appear to be any damage.

Comment

damm thats bad.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X