It turns out my headgaskets didn't blow... but whats this leak from? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It turns out my headgaskets didn't blow... but whats this leak from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It turns out my headgaskets didn't blow... but whats this leak from?

I think I finally figured out what happened. It IS the fuel pump. I replaced the MAF and the car ran considerably better, and it always started when cold...but it still died when it got warmer. Compression is still good and so was fuel pressure through the fuel rails. It was the fuel injectors. The injectors were tested and found to be only allowing a little fuel into the engine while the motor was cold, and they completely stop functioning period (All 6 of them) after the car warms up. Mechanic believes they were actually receiving too much fuel and were unable to open because of the higher volume pump. Does this make any sense though? Will an injector become unstable if it receives too much fuel? Supposedly this caused my lopey idle, and ALSO caused my car to run too lean and thats what killed my O2 sensors, and yes I badly needed them. The mechanic thinks that my racetronix pump is too strong for the car... what are your thoughts? And if it is, because I really don't want to tear the axel down or revert back to a stock pump, is there any aftermarket fuel regulators which could suite my needs IF that is, the fuel pump is responsible for it?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

A higher gal. pump won't make the injectors flow anymore than they do with a stock pump ,so that makes nosense at all. Sounds like you have a Vac. leak somewhere to cause that.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You said "Mechanic believes they were actually receiving too much fuel and were unable to open because of the higher volume pump". He believes? Did he actually check the fuel pressure or is he just guessing?

A Higher volume pump doesn't necessarily mean you have higher pressure. Before you buy a pressure regulator you should verify that you have too much pressure or you're just throwing more money at it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool81z28 View Post
          You said "Mechanic believes they were actually receiving too much fuel and were unable to open because of the higher volume pump". He believes? Did he actually check the fuel pressure or is he just guessing?

A Higher volume pump doesn't necessarily mean you have higher pressure. Before you buy a pressure regulator you should verify that you have too much pressure or you're just throwing more money at it again.
          True, the fuel pressure tested out to be fine from what he told me... I'll tell you the exact PSI when I can get a hold of him again... but what would cause my injectors to do that?

And Vac leak = possibly intake gasket manifold?

On second thought I kinda get what you mean, vac leak = more intake and that means the PCM will overcompensate the air / fuel mixture...am I right?

But then... the vac leak would have happened as soon as I got my car back from the Mechanic and it was running perfectly fine beforehand... it doesn't make any sense..
          Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM.
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Vac. leak can happen anytime.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

the plastic elbows on my 99 3.8 were completely broken off on the ends and it only dripped after the system got pressure and your leak is on the other side ...i am going with the freeze plug on the side where it leaking

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X