Android Torque Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android Torque Review

So A few days ago I received by ELM327 from eBay, and had already purchased the Android App Torque previously. My Camaro has its SES light on, so I figured for $30 for the ELM 327, and $5ish for the App I couldn't go wrong.

From what I have experienced so far this App is pretty incredible. I was able to see what code my car was putting out and it gives a nice description of the code as well, then easily clear the code. (ended up being my old O2 sim going bad from my CAT delete).

As for the real-time information that torque gives you, I'm highly impressed. It so far seems very accurate, even the Horsepower estimate seems pretty accurate as well, my 2000 Camaro read 189.9 HP, and pulled a 0-60 in 7.6 flat with alot of tire-spin since it had just rained. Ill have to take it out soon an really max out the car to see just how accurate the HP readings are. I'm guessing I should be just over 200 HP with the Cat delete, cat-back, and intake. The rev meter is very accurate, the acceleration meters are pretty neat too. I still have to try running the 1/4 mile time, and 1/8 mile time when I find a nice flat and empty area. Ill post more updates as I use it more.

Another thing I was nervous about was getting a cheapy eBay bluetooth ELM327, but so far its working prefect, and links to my droid x without any issue.

Re: Android Torque Review

This is good to know... can you link where you got the adapter off ebay?

Comment

The HP readings are quite inaccurate. On a real dyno, with those mods, you'd be hard pressed to put down over 165rwhp. Close, but awful optimistic.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
        The HP readings are quite inaccurate. On a real dyno, with those mods, you'd be hard pressed to put down over 165rwhp. Close, but awful optimistic.
        it is impossible to get rear wheel horsepower readings from an obdII port.

the 3.8 had 200hp i believe at the engine, so the readings seem fairly accurate to me

Comment

Absolutely agreed, I know they are just estimates, but im impressed that they are within what I would call a 'relatively' accurate range; however im not sure if it is estimating engine HP, or HP at the wheels.... I was thinking engine HP, but I could be wrong
          Last edited by Bobd1001; 03-27-2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
            This is good to know... can you link where you got the adapter off ebay?
            Sure, I got it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Pretty good deal, and it works fine for me

Comment

i wish they made them for obd I also :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bobd1001 View Post
                Absolutely agreed, I know they are just estimates, but im impressed that they are within what I would call a 'relatively' accurate range; however im not sure if it is estimating engine HP, or HP at the wheels.... I was thinking engine HP, but I could be wrong
                Honestly without putting it up against a dyno it's hard to tell accuracy either way. I would want to see it tested at extremes. Like very low hp cars and very high horsepower cars.

I know all the honda kids like that accelerometer based HP stuff, however I would just do 1/4 mile and 0-60 passes to tell the difference in performance without a dyno. Software for that is really a lot more accurate since the task of accurately calculating 1/4 and 0-60 times is really easy. I don't know if torque does it, but I've used scanning software with my laptop that does.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
                  Honestly without putting it up against a dyno it's hard to tell accuracy either way. I would want to see it tested at extremes. Like very low hp cars and very high horsepower cars.

I know all the honda kids like that accelerometer based HP stuff, however I would just do 1/4 mile and 0-60 passes to tell the difference in performance without a dyno. Software for that is really a lot more accurate since the task of accurately calculating 1/4 and 0-60 times is really easy. I don't know if torque does it, but I've used scanning software with my laptop that does.

Today I'm going to try to have my neighbor give it a shot in his 01 Corvette, and I believe he has dyno numbers for the vette, so we'll get to see if the estimate is somewhat accurate. Ill also give it a whirl in my parents Lexus and my friends jeep Laredo to get some number on the board, and see if its relatively accurate.

Comment

Any updates?
                    1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                    L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Yea it would be interesting to see if there is any accuracy. However just looking at it scientifically you know there just can't be any real precision to this method. An accelerometer is not a correct precise way to measure hp/torque. It may be accurate in it's guesses, but it's just guessing so there can't be any real precision due to the nature of how they work.

Think of it like a those "guess your weight" kind of guys at a fair (do they still have those?) They may be real accurate with their guesses, but they can't have actual precision since they are using a visual estimate to guess your weight. The ones who are really good at guessing may have perceived precision through their consistent accuracy, however we know they're not an actual weighing anyone so we still know it's not precise.
                      sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X