URGENT: Racetronix Fuel Pump Installation Failed. We're stumped. Please Help. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

URGENT: Racetronix Fuel Pump Installation Failed. We're stumped. Please Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: Racetronix Fuel Pump Installation Failed. We're stumped. Please Help.

I recently bought THIS PUMP and a Fram filter. My buddy and I spent many hours last night dropping my tank to swap out my fuel filter. I know you can cut a panel out of the back hatch, but we wanted to do things "right".

Well, we finally get the tank out, get the fuel pump assembly out of there, ensure the tank is clean, swap the pumps, and start reconnecting everything. We had glued the bucket shut, double-checked all of the connections, and reconnected the fuel lines. In the process of reassembling the fuel pump assembly, we noticed that the new power connector provided by Racetronix is lacking the purple wire, so we put that in place. The pin got mangled so we had to solder it, but it was a solid soldering job. We swapped the fuel filter out as well.

I put a gallon of premium gas in it, turn the key, and hear nothing... ...no priming from what I can hear. I try to start it. ...nothing.

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Chevy Camaro V6

Symptoms:
    - Won't Prime; no noise whatsoever and no sign of power to the pump
    - The gas gauge is showing WAY WAY full. ...fuller than I've ever seen it show. The needle is almost horizontal. It's not full... ...it's got like a gallon in it. What's going on here?
    - There is a single power connector that we were confused by. He thought he remembered unplugging it, but we looked and looked under the car and couldn't find it anywhere. If you're under the car, there is a plastic housing on the right side near the rear axle, next to the fuel lines, where a power cord snaps in and has another cord attached to it to keep it in place. The same plastic housing that contains the top plug has a bottom plug as well. We could not find anything for that plug. Are we missing something? If you need more info just ask.

My buddy is pretty upset. He's worked on 100s of cars and says mine is the most frustrating car he's ever worked on. I'm fine with taking it to a shop, but I know they're going to want to ditch the brand new walbro pump and I'd like to save it if there is something obvious I'm missing here.

THANK YOU!

EDIT: I did some research and apparently full gas gauges can indicate an improperly-grounded sending unit. There was a gray wire, black wire, and purple wire. Does anyone know what these do? Which one is most likely the problem?
    Last edited by Deoxyribonucleicvitriol; 03-23-2011, 01:34 PM.
    Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Re: URGENT: Racetronix Fuel Pump Installation Failed. We're stumped. Please Help.

Those sound like the fuel relay, which is actually located under that footpad by your left foot IN the car. Take the trim off there, turn the key. If you don't hear it click, then there is something wrong from there. If you do, then you have something leading from there to the fuel pump that isn't connected.
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Re: URGENT: Racetronix Fuel Pump Installation Failed. We're stumped. Please Help.

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
      Those sound like the fuel relay, which is actually located under that footpad by your left foot IN the car. Take the trim off there, turn the key. If you don't hear it click, then there is something wrong from there. If you do, then you have something leading from there to the fuel pump that isn't connected.
      Wouldn't it be kind of odd for it to suddenly give out between when the old pump was in there and when we changed to the new one?

I can't check it right now, unfortunately, as the car is at my buddy's house and I had to borrow one of his to get home. I'm pretty close to just dropping $400 for a mechanic to give me some peace of mind and a warranty :(
      Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

If you remember unplugging something and not plugging it back in I would suggest you reach on top the tank and find that. Sounds like the fuel sending unit is not plugged in and that could also be your pump not running problem.
        sigpic

Comment

Check all the connections first. When you key on does the racetronix relay activate? (aka does it click on?)

Racetronix has a support forum too, www.racetronix.info Very helpful :)

Grey wire is power, black wire is ground and purple wire is level sender.

Comment

I'm not familar with the wiring for the fuel pump. Is there anyplace like a plug or connection along the power wire to the pump that you can check with a mutimeter to see if it is getting power?

Also, is this the reason you replaced the old pump or did the old one work? If the old one worked it's almost certain something you did back by the tank or pump is causing it not to work.

If its getting power then you probably have a bad ground or faulty pump.

Worse case scenario you can pull the pump and and connect power directly to it to test it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X