Start of Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start of Starting problems

Ok, this is just weird. It just started the other day...I'll go out to start the car and sometimes on the first turn of the key I'll just get a "click" then nothing...nothing turning the motor over, nothing.

Then, sometimes I will turn the key and the car will crank and crank and crank and crank, but nothing...I flip the key off, turn the key over again and push the gas a bit and she struggles a little, but fires up.

Once she has shut down on me after startup on the idle, but I got her going again after a few key turns.

- The security light DOES NOT come on while cranking the motor (it does light up if you put it the key to "on" though, which is normal)
    - Battery was brand new just before winter
    - Brand New starter
    - Brand new fuel pump

Not sure what the deal is...it just started to happen on me, and i'm beginning to question the reliabilty of the car and how much longer this might continue to happen before she fails to start...

ideas please?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Start of Starting problems

bump someone mentioned it might be my tps sensor...seems like if I give the gas pedal a few pumps before I put the key in, she fires up fine...

However, I still periodically get nothing just a "click" when I turn the key...if I hold the key in the start position nothing further happens and the security light does not go on...its weird...also it almost sounds to me as if something is broken when she is trying to crank sometimes...

Comment

maybe its the ignition switch when i've had them go bad in the past it would be intermittent problems where u turn the key and you have no power at all... but i still think its a possibility. maybe its not getting enough acc power (intermittent or a weak signal from the switch) and not priming the pump effectivly.... just thinking out loud for ya

Comment

true...Ive tried switching the keys right now to see if that might be an issue...what is the ignition switch anyways?

Comment

its mounted parallel to the steering column. i may not be 100% correct, but i believe its what sends signal to everything... signals all of the acc power, and engine cranking. when u turn the key there's an actuator maybe 2( a metal rod[s]) that moves up and down the steering shaft, thats connected to the ignition switch. so when its on the on position, u get accessory power. and when u crank, the car should crank. i had 2 go out. both on different cars. and it seemed like a completely dead battery. but i could see the other part going out.

Comment

where would you get a new part like that? and whats it usually cost?

I've tried switching keys and that has not resolved the issue...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              where would you get a new part like that? and whats it usually cost?

I've tried switching keys and that has not resolved the issue...
              Autozone / Advance Auto / Napa and the Dealer all stock it I believe.

Don't quote me on this but I think it costs somewhere around $30 for the part alone... ...although it costs over $100 to have it replaced by a locksmith.
              Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM.
              1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Mike your BCM may be on the way out.

Here is a link to a DIY fix.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=BCM

Comment

I've done the T solder fix on my car a few years ago...stereo and everything is fine...its just sometimes you come out to start the car and it's like you are trying to start the car in Drive...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X