Whats the average lifespan of a 3.8L and what do you consider good? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the average lifespan of a 3.8L and what do you consider good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the average lifespan of a 3.8L and what do you consider good?

Im sitting here pondering after blowing a headgasket and shortly after eating my motor alive (where it still ran for a good 10 minutes temp gauge pegged)... it died at 146k miles. Not exactly a spring chicken. Would you consider this good for the milage? Did it hold up pretty well? I think 146k is pretty good...but whats the average for our motors?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Whats the average lifespan of a 3.8L and what do you consider good?

I sold mine back to the kid I bought it off of. I bought it at 123,000 miles - sold it back at 164,000 never did anything but change the oil, 1 tune up, an alternator, brakes and a battery.

That car never gave me any serious trouble (although i can tell the heater core is on its way out)

Comment

I bought my 2000 Camaro in February 2010, with 102,998 miles on the OD. Currently the car is sitting on 124,882 miles and the only internal problem I've had is the lower intake manifold gasket.

Comment

Treat it nice, and often it will return the favor.
        Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
        1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
        1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
        2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

out of todays engines, i would say anything below 150,000 miles with proper maintenance is short lived.

Comment

i ran the dog piss out of mine. the engine died at 142k miles. but thats (like your story) with the temp gauge pegged on a long bridge with no lane to stop in. water pump went out and she was no more. right now i have about 15k miles (total miles) on a series 3.
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=99098
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                out of todays engines, i would say anything below 150,000 miles with proper maintenance is short lived.
                With proper maintenance, and no issues (like driving after the water temp has pegged) I will be very, very disappointed if mine doesn't go at least 200+k without a major problem. At 146k it is still going very strong - albeit with a few minor leaks here and there - but hey it is getting a little long in the tooth (like its owner...). Oh, and I don't exactly drive like an old man, even if I am one. :D

Things like water pumps, alternators, starters, etc you expect to have to replace every so often, and very few engines are going to hold up being driven any distance with no coolant, but I can't see any reason these shouldn't last a good long time under normal conditions.

Comment

Properly maintained the 3800 should last over 200k easily.

There are guys on club GP putting cams on cars with over 150,000 with no adverse effects! :rock:

Comment

With good oil and maintenance, and not beating the crap out of them, I'll bet they could go well over 300-400K miles. Sure, they'll need headgaskets and seals as those do wear out. But the internals? I'll bet they can last darn near forever. My last car's little 2.0 4 cylinder still ran like new at 293K, the only internal work it ever needed was a headgasket. It didn't even burn oil. I'm sure these engines are a lot better.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I have 2 that are both over 200k. The trans is shot is one, I purchased the other with bad head gaskets (replaced and all good)
                      Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

205k rode hard most her life, but maintained... replaced so far: water pump, tranny mount, radiator hose, ignition lock (where you put your key) cylinder, oxygen sensor, tensioner pulley in addition to normal plug wires and stuff, and I REALLY need new shocks. The abs inop light stays on, E brake light stays on, ses light stays on for the oxy sensor I already replaced, and every now and then there is this really high pitched whining in conjuction with the throttle, but I just pretend that's my supercharger ha ha. One thing it does very well....Start everytime I ask her to, I couldn't kill this thing if I tried, and I have been trying for years!
                        Last edited by JML-3.8; 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

i just bought a 98 with 176k on it not a thing wrong with it besides the radio and a rear main seal drip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X