Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blower motor going bad?

Originally posted by Docta View Post
    That's a flasher. Its up under the dash, little silver round thing with three prongs. Turn on a blinked and its pretty easy to find. And they're like $4.
    i highly doubt its the flasher.. it really sounds like a bad battery connection, or some type of connection that deals with the charging process.

my guess is the battery or alternator connection, because they were taken off when the gasket was replaced.

Comment

You say it's making a lot of noise. It could just be trash that's fallen down into it. I'd take the blower off and have a look to make sure there isn't something hitting the blower.

Comment

I would check the battery connections for corrosion, and then check the voltage at idle with a multimeter. It should be pretty close to 14V, anything close to 13 or less is a weak alternator. My turn signals work as well as everyone else's, so I'd bet you've got low voltage or a bad ground somewhere.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

We tested the battery and alternator today, both are at normal operating range. The guage on the dash reads approximately 14-15. There is no corrosion on the terminals and everything is tight.

So now what..? :excited:

Comment

When my turn signals flashed slow it was a bad socket up front. The DRL's melt the sockets and then the connection isnt as good to the bulb. It was only one side that did it though, the other side would work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bluex View Post
              When my turn signals flashed slow it was a bad socket up front. The DRL's melt the sockets and then the connection isnt as good to the bulb. It was only one side that did it though, the other side would work fine.
              just a note, i had a similar problem, but it was only a dirty bulb connection

Comment

We tested the charging system with every accessory running and the volt meter read 14.45, the gauge did not fluxuate on the dash.

The blower switch works and you can tell the 4 different speeds of the fan, but they blow 10 times less than normal. The fan is making funky whining noises and varies in speed even when the RPM's are up and at idle.

I'm kind of at a loss here...

Are we now set on a bad ground connection or a bad fan motor, or?
                Last edited by Jtels2593; 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I'm leaning toward a bad ground. You could try jumping the blower connections directly to ground or directly to the battery + and - terminals to see if it runs well on high speed. You could have a problem at the ground or at the blower controller connection. As for the turn signals, I would also try creating your own ground at one or both lights to see if it improves. My car had a bad ground in the headlight wiring harness and I had to re-run the ground, and it fixed the problem. But like stated above, check the bulb socket for cleanliness and overall condition first. Bad grounds cause all kinds of weird things to happen.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

If this hasn't been suggested yet, I'd say to remove and clean the fan. It tends to accumulate dirt and leaves. I don't recall exactly how to remove it, but it's straight forward. It's in the passenger footwell - couples screws and an electrical connector.

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
                      If this hasn't been suggested yet, I'd say to remove and clean the fan. It tends to accumulate dirt and leaves. I don't recall exactly how to remove it, but it's straight forward. It's in the passenger footwell - couples screws and an electrical connector.
                      This is going to be my first step, remove and clean the fan. The car sat for some time before I bought it, but thats been over a year ago. If this doesn't seem to cure the problem, the next stop in the process will be testing the ground.

I am not at all familiar with automotive electrical systems. Does anyone have a step-by-step tutorial for going about checking this ground?

Btw, I replaced the flasher and the turn signals are working slightly faster. For some reason the old one was a PITA to remove, but I got it. Thanks!
                      Last edited by Jtels2593; 02-22-2011, 06:40 AM.

Comment

The problem was indeed the blower motor. Here is a step-by-step tutorial of how I went about repairing the problem.

Keep in mind I'm not sure whether or not removing the glove box lid should have been a part of the process, but I did it anyway, (3 bolts).

I then removed the interior trim panel that runs along the inside of the car, however the hard part was putting it back on. The panel didn't want to line up properly - due to the falling temperatures I'm going to wait until tomorrow.

I then removed the panel underneath the dash (popping out 2 plastic pins) where I accessed the blower motor towards the back, near the firewall. It was 3 bolts and fell down. I found a bunch of leaves and small twigs inside of the motor. I cleaned it out and put the motor back in its place, plugged in the connector and was still experiencing the same problem as before.

I drove down the road to Auto Zone and purchased a new blower motor for $39.99, came home and installed it. Wouldn't ya know it? It works! I tested it for a few minutes and drove the car down the street to see if it would wind down like the old motor did, nothing bad happened. I put everything back together and am satisfied with a job well done.

The task was done in my driveway and took about two hours, which includes the trip to the parts store and a drive by through Taco Bell.

For someone like me who is somewhat mechanically challenged, it feels good knowing that I discovered and repaired the problem. All it took was a little guess work, some elbow grease and my fingers crossed that I don't #$%^ anything up!

Comment

Nice!! you called the problem right off the bat.

Good to hear you got it done!
                          In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                          2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

...a drive by through Taco Bell.
                            Why the Taco Bell hate?

Good write up on the repair. I might look into mine sometime.

Comment

Good job on getting the motor replaced. If the condition of the motor was in doubt, doing grounding test or jumping the connections to the battery would have confirmed that the motor was bad.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X