Oil in the tailpipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in the tailpipe

I just got back from driving over 3000miles to Panama City and back for spring break and on the way there, I noticed that theres oil on the back bumper and the inside of the tailpipe looks oily. And at Panama City I cruised around town with my buddy with a mustang GT, and from what he said whenever I get on the gas, theres smoke coming out of my exhaust pipe and smells like oil really bad.
    I'm only running 4lbs of boost but it seems to go lean(according to the Autometer A/F meter) whenever I hit 4lbs of boost. I'm guessing that caused the piston oil seal or whatever to go bad but I'm asking for some input from you guys on what it can be.

BTW, I was surprised how good of a gas mileage I got on the way there and back. It only took me 3 1/2 tanks of gas on the trip there and less than 3 tanks of gas on the way back here. And my car has 80,000 miles!
    1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

piston rings are your problem.

Comment

Any advices on what I can do? Besides rebuilding the motor.
      1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

Thats about it... Um you can try one of those sealer products, but I don't really recomend them, they make a royal mess, and can cause worse problems later down the line. About stuck, you can make sure you use 10w30 runs a little thicker, but thats about all you can really do. Um you can try a can of engine restore for the 8cyl I would use if its that much that stuff isn't bad for your engine doesn't cause a big mess for later, and is like $10 or so, worth a shot but new rings sooner or later is going to be the call.
        1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

What is cheaper, oil or a repair that may or not fix your problem to your satisfaction?????
          Phil

Comment

Bad turbo seals will make it smoke

Comment

Well, its not like its smoking that bad or anything. It only smokes and burns oil when its at WOT. I will try the engine restore stuff and see how it will do. If that doesnt work, I guess I better start saving up for a GTP motor.

Comment

Originally posted by ratpwr:
                Thats what I thought at first but I've only had this turbo for like 6000miles. I'm only running 4lbs of boost and I got it brand new. Will it go bad that quick?

Comment

Shouldn't a compression test determine if he has a bad ring? I would ask this question in FI section where people are a little more knowledgable or take it to a shop before you start throwing random parts at it.

Comment

On my compression tester (from Wal-Mart($23)) it said that it could detect bad rings.
                    BTW, I am King of the Trailor Park
                    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by ChronoGN:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ratpwr:
                      Thats what I thought at first but I've only had this turbo for like 6000miles. I'm only running 4lbs of boost and I got it brand new. Will it go bad that quick? </font>[/QUOTE]what your oil PSI? are you running a reducer? if you have to much oil it will get past the seals

also if your oil drain is to small and or slow it will cause this also.

you know you was only 60 miles from me in panama city? you should have came over and said hi [img]smile.gif[/img] i would have helped you out too i have a comp tester......

i also could have put a really really good tune on the car also
                      www.turbov6camaro.com
                      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
                        On my compression tester (from Wal-Mart($23)) it said that it could detect bad rings.
                        BTW, I am King of the Trailor Park
                        I should probably try that when it gets warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ChronoGN:
                          Thats what I thought at first but I've only had this turbo for like 6000miles. I'm only running 4lbs of boost and I got it brand new. Will it go bad that quick? </font>[/QUOTE]what your oil PSI? are you running a reducer? if you have to much oil it will get past the seals

you know you was only 60 miles from me in panama city? you should have came over and said hi [img]smile.gif[/img] i would have helped you out too i have a comp tester......

</font>[/QUOTE]oh damn, if I knew that you were that close from Panama City, I woulda visited you for sure and checked out your car.
                          Oil pressure is usually around 60 when I first start it up and goes down to about 30-40 after it gets warm. What do you mean by a reducer? My oil drain is bigger than the oil in for the turbo so I dont think thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChronoGN:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by viper04af:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ChronoGN:

</font>[/QUOTE]oh damn, if I knew that you were that close from Panama City, I woulda visited you for sure and checked out your car.
                            Oil pressure is usually around 60 when I first start it up and goes down to about 30-40 after it gets warm. What do you mean by a reducer? My oil drain is bigger than the oil in for the turbo so I dont think thats it.
                            </font>[/QUOTE]my oil is at 60 psi at all times...... and i need a reduce in the oil line so the turbo didn't get to much oil.... check your down pipe out see if there any oil leaking out of it
                            www.turbov6camaro.com
                            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I been experimenting with Lucas products ever since it came out and find that the Oil Treatment bottle has made my 1991 3.1 Firebird not smoke at all.

This after 266,000 miles, I would suspect my rings would be worn by now but it hasnt. Give that a shot on your next oil change. Remember this, 4 quarts of your fave oil and 1 entire bottle of Lucas should do the trick.

I know I dont have a turbo setup that produces more power and punishment on pistons but I do have 186K over your engine and felt in my opinion that I have MORE punished miles on my motor and pistons.
                              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X