Noise coming from engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise coming from engine

There's some sort of whining sound coming from the engine. Best I can tell, it's something to do with the pulleys. Could one of them be wearing out?

01 V6, 116k miles on it.

Re: Noise coming from engine

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
    There's some sort of whining sound coming from the engine. Best I can tell, it's something to do with the pulleys. Could one of them be wearing out?

01 V6, 116k miles on it.
    Absolutely. Everyone will tell you to pull the belt off and start it up to verify its something with the belt system. Before you pull the belt you might want to see if u can narrow down the area of the noise. Then with the belt off try spinning pulleys to see if u can identify the culprit. When I changed my tensioner it took care of some of my noise, and I was able to figure out that the idler pulley was also making noise. It could always be bearings going out in one or more of the accessories too though.

Comment

x2

I'd also check the faces of the pullys for running true by using a couple of straight-edges on the face of the pulleys. Specially if you just replaced something like an alternator. If a pulley is out of plane, the belt may squeek on that pully or an adjacent one.

Do NOT use any kind of substance on the pully to quiet it, espeially belt dressing. After you figure out that the 15 second application of belt dressing just collects dirt while temporarily masking what could be a serious problem, you'll end up spending the next 3 hours cleaning up each pully and what was a perfectly good belt.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
        Do NOT use any kind of substance on the pully to quiet it, espeially belt dressing. After you figure out that the 15 second application of belt dressing just collects dirt while temporarily masking what could be a serious problem, you'll end up spending the next 3 hours cleaning up each pully and what was a perfectly good belt.
        lmao, reminds me of this used car salesman that tried to pull that crap right in front of me. He started up a car and one of the pulleys was squealing pretty good. He goes, "oh it sounds like the belt to me" I said, "nuh uh, that's definitely a pulley" So he gets some lube and puts it on the belt, lmao.. The squeal didn't stop. We left.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

when does the noise happen? All of the time, or does it happen in the lower rpms when you are engine braking?

The 3.8 is pretty well known for giving a "supercharger" whine

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            when does the noise happen? All of the time, or does it happen in the lower rpms when you are engine braking?

The 3.8 is pretty well known for giving a "supercharger" whine
            That's exactly the sound! Somewhere around the 3.5-4k rpm in first gear is when it gets really loud. And also when turning left only.

Also free reving has the sound too.

Comment

If it is happening when you're turning I would guess the power steering pump.

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                That's exactly the sound! Somewhere around the 3.5-4k rpm in first gear is when it gets really loud. And also when turning left only.

Also free reving has the sound too.
                yeah, I believe it is the power steering pump, its very common, I personally wouldnt worry about it, I hear a ton of other cars with the 3.8 doing it on the road, and mine has been doing it since i got it.. 50,000 miles ago

Comment

My pumped whines from time to time 58K miles on my car. As said above I wouldn't worry too much about it!
                  In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                  2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Do check the fluid level in your power steering pump. It could just be low.

Comment

I did take a quick look at the reservoir and it didn't look too low. And this isn't some intermittent sound, it's every time I get off and go. The sound isn't present from a cold start. Once it heats up to temp, then the noises start.

Comment

Sounds like a exhaust leak since it gets worse when its warm.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                          Sounds like a exhaust leak since it gets worse when its warm.
                          Really? a squeaky exhaust?

Comment

I don't think it's my exhaust. I'm pretty sure it's one of the pulleys, I can definitely hear the bearings grinding.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid. I just checked the PS fluid again in better light and it is indeed low on fluid. I'll pick up some tomorrow and update.
                            Last edited by enzia35; 01-25-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X