What oil to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil to use?

So im going to be picking up my new engine in a couple of weeks and i wanted to know what kind of oil you guys use. Im going to be driving the car on the roads not on a strip. The new engine only has 24k on is so i want to keep it looking and running clean.

Re: What oil to use?

Mobil 1.
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep121w/r...stop/id44.html

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...reference.html

The filter is more important that the oil, so long as it's SAE approved.
      Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 01-15-2011, 11:48 PM.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

i would just use any synthetic oil you can find.

i would personally stay away from mobil 1 after everything that happened with them

Comment

I didnt hear what happend to them, whats the story?

Comment

I've always been told that non-synthetic is the way to go. But that's just my old school father telling me.

Comment

I like Valvoline SYNPower, personally.

Comment

I use Amsoil with a Wix filter and love it, infact 2,000km later on my new motor and the oil was still clean as when it went in, Ive never had that on my old engine, hell 1-2 days after you changed the oil it was black again...if you want I can hook you up with a way to get AMS and the Wix filters for alot cheaper than what you can get it in stores for....actually it's probably a good 50% cheaper than in stores...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                  I use Amsoil with a Wix filter and love it, infact 2,000km later on my new motor and the oil was still clean as when it went in, Ive never had that on my old engine, hell 1-2 days after you changed the oil it was black again...if you want I can hook you up with a way to get AMS and the Wix filters for alot cheaper than what you can get it in stores for....actually it's probably a good 50% cheaper than in stores...

:rock:

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                    I've always been told that non-synthetic is the way to go. But that's just my old school father telling me.
                    using non synthetic will keep your engine cleaner since you will have to change the oil more often, thats about it.

newer engines will last just as long if you do regular oil changed with synthetic or dino oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                      Yeah pm me how I can get that 50% cheaper, thats awsome im always looking to save money and i have always liked wix filters

Comment

PM sent

Comment

I use RP 20/50 and love it with Bosch filters or AcDelco , Letzride PM me on the Amosoil and filters, only reason I don't run it is the price.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Canola.

No, seriously, I'd venture out to say, ANY SAE approved oil of the appropriate weight, nonsynthetic, regularly changed and the level regularly checked, will do you just fine.

If you want a thinner wallet and a warm fuzzy feeling, go synthetic.

Comment

synthetic has better additives, and is more resistant to thermal breakdown among many other benefits...the only reason I didnt run synthetic in my previous engine was because my rear main was leaking pretty bad, and until I could be sure that the motor was not leaking, it wasnt worth it to run synthetic as it would just p*ss out the back. Not all oils are the same...thats like saying all beer is made the same, or just because you have a set of ported and polished heads its the same as the next guys, it's not. And just because you run synthetic doesnt mean you have to change it at the extended intervals...I'll still only leave my synthetic in for 3000-3500 miles.

the only B.S part of synthetic oils is the claim people make about "feeling" more power...you wont feel any more power out of your car...but your parts will sure as hell be alot more protected...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X