Crancking Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crancking Problem

Ok, i did a search but didn't really find a answer.
    This morning got on my car and started just fine.Drove to the store about a mile away and when i got back in it would't start.Lights and all worked fine but when i turned the ignition all it did was this tick tick tick noise and all the lights will go out with guages jumping all over.I kept trying until it finaly started, drove back home shut it off and tyied to start it again and still the same problem.The guages will still jump around even with the key out of the ignition.
    Has anyone have this problem?
    ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Up until the key out of the ignition part I'd say bad solenoid on the starter. I'd check the easy stuff 1st(battery connections/obvious power cables in bad shape/ frayed wires around any power source that has constant power) Without seeing it thats a tuff call. I'd have to say a bad starter or bad switch in the colum
    98 bird <br />160,000 miles<br />13\'s? Just happy it\'s starts every morning. <br /><br />Traded in @164,000 On a 2001 Formula

Comment

Will a bad starter make the instrument lights go out when you try to crack the car? I checked the connection on the Batt and it looks good. When i get it started the alternator guage looks like it charges normal. What should it reed with the ignition on the ON position before startig?
      ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Before starting with it on it should read a little over 12 volts. Depending on what is wrong with the starter it may make the dash lights go dim. If the brushes or armature on the motor are wornout it'll take more amps to crank it thus drawing more power away from the gauge lights. You can check some stores (Sears) used to do a crank test that would tell if it's a battery or a starter problem, but based on the info, my guess right now is the starter.
        98 bird <br />160,000 miles<br />13\'s? Just happy it\'s starts every morning. <br /><br />Traded in @164,000 On a 2001 Formula

Comment

I had a very similar problem about 6 mos. ago, did a load test on the battery & it showed it had a bad cell, but on a volt meter looked fine.The "zone" & many other part stores will give a load test free ,it'll eliminate a common problem ( or verify it)& the "price" is right FREE!
          geocor

Comment

Thanks alot guys! I will go to Auto Zone tommorow and check it out.See what's with the baby. Hopefully just needs some TLC.
            ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X