Brakes are non-existent. wonderful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes are non-existent. wonderful

So, the newest thing wrong in my lovely camaro. My brakes don't work at all. At idle if i press my brakes and I hear a loud air sound and the volts drop to about 13, the lights flicker, and the car runs rough *sounds exactly like when I removed my brake booster line to run seafoam through* While driving my brakes have nothing, I have to press extremely hard to get anything out of them. My guess is a vacuum hose somewhere, but I have no clue where to look. Also my front pads are in a need of changing, if they were worn down SO much, would it cause this? Plz help, for I barely have a car now!
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

found this

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=1;t=013177

but nobody answered when he asked where else could a hose be disconnected!
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Check the hose right behind your master cylinder. It runs from the brake booster (big round black metal thing) to a vacuum port at the rear of the engine. They sometimes work themselves loose or rot away over time. That would explain the loud air sound, idle problem, and lousy braking...all-in-one.
      sigpic

Comment

you could also have a broken bladder in the booster.
        95 convertible 3.8 series II

Comment

i'm about to check that now, i'll be back here to let known my findings [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well I followed the brake booster line ( i assume it's the black tube on the driver's side that dips behind the engine and also goes into the *firewall* of the car? Anyway behind the engine I found the meeting point there was one of those camps that require pliers to remove the tube.. then the tube connected to a smaller metal tube and turned 90 degrees to the engine.. suffice to say nothing seemed disconnected, granted the car wasn't running.. but it did seem intact. I'm going to check again with it running to see if i notice anything. What's this business with a bleeder? Is it expensive and/or can i fix it myself.. thanks for the quick answers! I need my car in 4 hours!

Comment

there only one vac line into the brake booster, and it goes to the back of the uppper intake, check were it plugs intothe boosters and see if thats were its leaking,
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

well i checked the brake booster line and had my girlfriend brake with the car in idle (when breaking the engine chugs). The sound seems to be coming from behind the engine where hockeyman said to look.. but from my finger inspection there doesn't seem to be any leaks, nor was I able to feel any air coming through. Should I remove the tube all together and check it out?

Comment

Yeah, try to get back there and find where it's coming from. The only problem is that 1/2 of the intake sits under the dashboard. Friggin GM designers! Try to angle a little mirror on a piece of metal to see the problem. Hate to say it, but you MAY have to remove the whole intake to find where the leak is coming from.
                  Take pics (if possible) if you do this project so you can give further info to others that will encounter this problem.
                  sigpic

Comment

I assume when you say "intake" you're referring to what I call the "tube"? I will go in there and take it apart tomorrow. I guess I'm going to have to remove the tube where it goes into the firewall and remove it behind the engine? Then check for a leak of some sort? What if I don't find one, should I assume it's coming from the metal piece it's hooked to? Well I'm gonna start tomorrow and i'll keep updating and snap some pics
                    thx

Comment

the intake is that thing that says 3800 series 2 on it, and it has a throttle body attached to the front of it. if thats what you call the tube then you are correct sir.
                      96 3.8 red camaro. <br />headers,cam,valve springs,retainers,auburn lsd,3.73 gears,SLP cold air,accel coils,24lb injectors,8mm plug wires,air temp module,LT1 diveshaft,removed a/c,edelbrock torque arm,spohn LCA\'s and PHR

Comment

It may sound strange, but take the hose off from the brake booster and blow into it. It may be easier to locate the leak then.
                        sigpic

Comment

ah timmy that's not what i meant by the "tube" the "tube" was the hose from the brake booster.. well ****.. this's gonna get dirty.. gonna start here pretty soon

Comment

ok, upon looking at what i've been told is the intake.. i'm completely daunted on how i should remove it.. i'm absolutely willing to, but i have no sense into which bolts is conducive to it's removal.. any help with this? BTW, while i'm in there.. is there anything i can do mod wise while i have it opened up? It would be pretty cool to paint the 3800 series 2 top, blue with my engine paint.. i assume i wouldn't paint the inside? Thx and lemme know

Comment

UPDATE!

Well after being under my hood, I decided to remove my maf screen, took it for a spin.. it feels the slightest bit more peppy, but it could be psychosematic (sp?). Nonetheless there's a black fluid around my maf screen, i assume it's oil.. but i guess it could be the stuff i used to clean my k@n a few months back.. basically is that normal? It wasn't alot, not even a thimble full, just curious..

back to the task at hand... after having a chance to hear the problem when it's light outside.. i've determined that the air sound is NOT coming from behind the engine, but from the black brake booster box itself! I had my girlfriend brake while i was underneath it, and it's definitely coming from there. I tried pushing the hose harder into it to see if there was a leak there and the noise was no different... so ok, it's coming from the black box.. how do i proceed?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X