transmission hard to change out of park. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transmission hard to change out of park.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission hard to change out of park.

well, my tranny is hard to move from park when my car is cold. i have 73,000 minles on it and i got it at 63,000 miles and so i dont know whent the oil has been changed. what do you guys think is the problem?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

anyone?

Comment

Does it feel like somethings locking up and all the sudden it comes out of park or is it stiff going into every position on the shifter? Is it better when it's warmed up or just after the shifters been used? When I first had my car, I had coin that dropped down and caused it to not want to come out of park easily.
      98 bird <br />160,000 miles<br />13\'s? Just happy it\'s starts every morning. <br /><br />Traded in @164,000 On a 2001 Formula

Comment

My moms Jag had the same problem. It turned out to be the switch that activates when you apply the brake.

You know how you have to have your foot on the brake to get it outa park. There is a switch thing for that, possible your problem.
        Cardomain

Comment

Originally posted by jtigger:
          Does it feel like somethings locking up and all the sudden it comes out of park or is it stiff going into every position on the shifter? Is it better when it's warmed up or just after the shifters been used? When I first had my car, I had coin that dropped down and caused it to not want to come out of park easily.
          yeah, it feels like it is locked up and then lets go and goes through the shifter fine. im not sure if its when the car is cold or not though.

Comment

Originally posted by PewterBird:
            My moms Jag had the same problem. It turned out to be the switch that activates when you apply the brake.

You know how you have to have your foot on the brake to get it outa park. There is a switch thing for that, possible your problem.
            what was the problem with the switch. did it malfunction or did it just outright not work. and if it didnt work then would i be able to it out of park cause i can with some effort for a second or so

Comment

Originally posted by jtigger:
              i pulled out a lot of coins a while ago from the previous owner but i'll see if there is more that i didnt get cause that seems like a possibility

Comment

Most likely it is the solenoid that works from the brake. Not a big deal to change I think it runs like $30.
                2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PewterBird:

what was the problem with the switch. did it malfunction or did it just outright not work. and if it didnt work then would i be able to it out of park cause i can with some effort for a second or so </font>[/QUOTE]Im not sure what kind of switch it had, whether mechanical or electrical, but it did only partially work, therefor it would come outa park it just took repeated attempts.
                  Cardomain

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Flame V6:
                    Most likely it is the solenoid that works from the brake. Not a big deal to change I think it runs like $30.
                    can you give me a run by on this solenoid. what all goes into fixing it. i know pretty much nothing about transmissions but if you give me a run through i will figure it out....anyone else have suggestions?

Comment

Same thing happens to mine in the winter. It is damn near impossible to push that button in when it is cold. I have to warm up the car first.
                      95 Firebird<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/673250\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/673250</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y217/andrewbrandon19/\" target=\"_blank\">http://photobucket.com/albums/y217/andrewbrandon19/</a> <br /><br />me on a good day------&gt; <a href=\"http://communicatio.webblogg.se/images/wet_cat_113159625.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">linky</a>

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blue Flame V6:
                        can you give me a run by on this solenoid. what all goes into fixing it. i know pretty much nothing about transmissions but if you give me a run through i will figure it out....anyone else have suggestions? </font>[/QUOTE]It is located under the console cover don't remember what holds it on anymore since I have a 5spd now. Its not difficult to change @ all. Next time I have my friends camaro I will look @ it and give you instructions on how to change it.
                        2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Originally posted by andrew.brandon:
                          Same thing happens to mine in the winter. It is damn near impossible to push that button in when it is cold. I have to warm up the car first.
                          its not the button, i can bush the button fine, it just actually pulling it out of park that is sometimes alittle hard.

Comment

This may not be it, and it may sound a little stupid...but it is what was wrong with mine.

I just bought a 94 camaro a couple months ago and it was a little difficult to pull out of park after it had been sitting for a while. In my case, I guess the previous owner had spilled some coke or something around the shifter. The little plastic slide pieces that move around the shifter when you change gears had coke between them and it made it difficult to shift out of park after the car had sat for a while. I sprayed some windex all around the plastic pieces around the shifter, let it set for a few minutes and then wiped up the excess. No problem since.

Good luck finding the problem. I hope it's something simple like the above. Let us know either way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X