permanently deleting front engine lift bracket (drives side) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

permanently deleting front engine lift bracket (drives side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanently deleting front engine lift bracket (drives side)

I am curious if people remove the front engine lift bracket with no ill effects? It is also an outer bracket for the ignition module. That cast aluminum 'platform' for the ignition module looks real sturdy.

It is vibration I am concered about.

Anybody have a broken 'ignition module base' after deleting the front hoist bracket?

TIA

[ March 11, 2006, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: grayman ]
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

i took mine off, was easy compared to the passenger side.
    I've seen a website where they actually relocated the ICM away from the engine so the heat wouldnt make it misfire so much. I plan to do this.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

i dont know how to get the Right side(passenger) lift bracket off, it requires way too much torque.
      I think I will just bend it back, to get to the last valve cover bolt. Then take off the head.
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I took both of my brackets off with no problems.
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

how did you get the inside bolt,right (passenger) braket off? it demands alot of pressure/torque.
          the outside bolt was easy

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
            I took both of my brackets off with no problems.
            ok thanks guys, that is what i wanted to here. I have not come across any posts asking how to replace their ignition module (cast aluminum) base after they left the front hoist bracket off and drove for a long time either.

that front hoist bracket is not going back on the car.
            01 Firebird A4 3.42
            Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
            and other mods

Comment

i'm using double ratcheting wrenches too.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
                how did you get the inside bolt,right (passenger) braket off? it demands alot of pressure/torque.
                the outside bolt was easy
                this is my guide for the passenger side lift bracket removal.

after breaking the nuts loose a 13mm gear wrench is your best friend for finishing the job.

if you don't have a set of metric gear wrenches then i highly recommend them. It has made life with the cowl overhang and so many other places on this car much more enjoyable.

http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/liftbracket.htm
                01 Firebird A4 3.42
                Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                and other mods

Comment

gear wrench = double ratcheting wrench
                  basically the same thing
                  still having problems though

Comment

sling wrench, box wrench whatever thingamabobber

Comment

can you get your arm behind the intake manifold and the firewall? that is how i got the inside bolt loose. right arm between the manifold/firewal = pulling on the wrench and my left arm/hand pushing on the wrench.

i cleared one or more wire loom tie down thingies out of the way as well.

but the first time i needed to get the valve cover off i just got the outside bolt off and then bent the bracket back to clear the valve cover bolt.

a couple weeks later i went back at it...to finish the job. it was taking too long to remobe so next best thing was to push on that outer corner with a 2x4.
                      01 Firebird A4 3.42
                      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                      and other mods

Comment

i permanently removed my passanger side lift during replacing my valve cover gaskets.
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by grayman:
                          can you get your arm behind the intake manifold and the firewall? that is how i got the inside bolt loose. right arm between the manifold/firewal = pulling on the wrench and my left arm/hand pushing on the wrench.

i cleared one or more wire loom tie down thingies out of the way as well.
                          MAP kinda gets in the way
                          I cleared the wire loom too.
                          I will fix this braket prob today

Comment

Ever use a wrench cheater?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/wrenchcheater.jpg
                            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

extra leverage = extra torque
                              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X