Fuel gauge/Sending unit acting up - whats up? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel gauge/Sending unit acting up - whats up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel gauge/Sending unit acting up - whats up?

Before I purchased my car this year, the previous owner gave me the paperwork from November, 2009 that stated the car had received a new fuel pump and sending unit.

My fuel gauge has been working great until late last week. When I fill up the tank, the needle is usually right at the full mark. After about 20-40 miles of driving, the needle begins moving slowly down. The needle is at 3/4 tank between 75-90 miles. The needle is at 1/2 tank between 150-175 miles. The needle is at 1/4 tank at about 230-250 miles. I receive about 23-26 MPG depending on where I drive.

I am currently daily driving the Camaro because my wife has my other car. I have filled up twice since last week and both times I filled up the needle went about 1/4 inch above full which I have never seen before. The needle is still 1/4 inch above the full position after putting 75 miles on the car today. When the car sits at idle, the needle will drop about 1/8 of the way below the full mark. When I get moving again, the needle goes back up. The guage will show that I have 3/4 tank of fuel at 125 miles and 1/2 tank at 220 miles. After the needle moves below the half tank mark, it travels down hill rather quickly and is on Empty right around 290-300 miles.

I believe that our tanks are shaped like a "V" and the floater is inside of the tank. After replacing/repairing the same issue on my '01 Buick Century, I really don't feel like going through it again on this car. GM cars from the 90's and early 00's seem to have problems with the fuel pumps and sending units.

What exactly am I experiencing here?
    Last edited by Jtels2593; 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM.

Re: Fuel gauge/Sending unit acting up - whats up?

Mine does the same thing. But it will eventually run out of gas if it hits E. It WILL run out of gas when the needle is on E.
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

hell mine didnt work for years, once it read 1/2 tank it was really empty. oddly enough, i had some issues with the harness plug under the car, i pulled it out, cleaned the connections up with a dremel tool, plug the damn thing in and it ill be goddamned if the damn thing works perfectly now.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
      Or this

Comment

Where can I find this harness plug underneath the car? I have never heard of that but at this point I will do just about anything.

If that doesn't work.. I'll put some trans-x in my fuel tank.

Comment

its on the drivers side right above the rear end underneath the car

should look like this...

im not 100 percent sure if it'll be the same but as far as i know it is on all 4th gens

when i pulled mine all sorts of **** came out of it and it was corroded as hell (im guessing from years of winter time salt and just 15 years worth of dirt getting up in there.) either way, it fixed the issue with mine. mine was so effin bad that there were days where the damn pump wouldnt engage because the connection was so bad.
          Last edited by vanbibber; 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Thank you very much! I will let you know what happens..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X