Car Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Trouble

Alright. Well. Im stumped. Ive got a problem with my car. Again. About a month ago my car started running like crap. If you drove it like an old lady, it was fine. But, if you give it anymore than about a quarter/third throttle, it wont take the gas, and starts sputtering. Oh, and it only does that after its warmed up. Hop in it when its cold and it runs like a bat out of hell. Well, at the time I didnt have the money to fix anything. Well. I do now. Ive replaced 2 out of 3 coil packs ( cyl number one is where the reported misfire is, so its not the remaining coil). I replaced the o2 sensor that was throwing a code today. I kinda figured that would do it. So. Could it be my plugs and wires? If so, why only after it gets hot? Or might it be something way more expensive. I just took the car out for a drive to see if the new o2 sensor was gonna do it, so I have to wait for it to cool off before I can pull the plugs to see if anything is fouled. Any advice is much welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Car Trouble

First I would check the wires to make sure there is nothing obviously wrong. Then I would suggest pulling the ignition control module (under the coils) and taking it in for a test. I know Advance Auto will test it. Other stores probably will too. I have had two ICM's fail on other cars, and the symptoms are similar to what you have. They would run OK when cold, but once warm they would start acting up. If it's not that then fine, keep looking. But mine never set codes (even with the misfire). When it starts misfiring, does the tach jump all over the place? That's what mine would do. Let us know what happens. Good luck.
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I've got wires to put on it today. The ones on it now are old. Possibly never been changed from the looks of them. Im hoping that is my problem. The misfire in it now is gone. After I changed the 02, ive noticed its been eliminated. It used to misfire at idle while hot, and if i was driving and would throw it out of gear to coast, the idle would jump. But that has ceased. All its doing now is not taking gas under a load, and if I let it pop and do its thing, the SES light will flash.

Comment

Sounds like your CAT went bad. Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Car ran fine cold, but once heated up it would misfire whenever it was gassed anywhere over 3/4 throttle. My O2 sensor threw some code and my SES would go on and some times flash when the misfires occured. Try having someone stand behind your car and watching the exhaust, and rev it hard a few times. If you see any sort of dust or metallic particles come out, its a broken up cat.

I ended up just gutting my cat, welding it shut, and putting in an O2 emulator, so i can still pass inspection. And now it runs better than the day I bought it. Plus it sounds awesome!

Bob

Comment

Well, I think I fixed it. I was trying to change the plug wires (which was hard as crap). Well, I couldnt get the heat shields off to get to some of the wires. So, I just said screw it and put everything back together. When I did I made sure the wires I had off were nice and secure. I had to head home ( I was staying somewhere else for the night) and after I gassed up and headed home, I noticed it was taking gas a lot better. Well, long story short, I can put her to the floor in 5th headed up hills and it doesn't miss, stutter, or hesitate at all.

The CAT is coming off as soon as I get the piping together for true duals =]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X