Head Gasket or Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket or Radiator

Recently my cooling system has been building up a lot of pressure after having it checked out it was as if it was filled with air. Ive had several tests done, and they says its between the radiator and the head gasket. Now the facts are this afew years ago I did over heat the system but after that I had put a block seal in the car just for safe measure. The car has no water in the oil, doesn't smoke white, or anything of the sort. The radiator is really brown, I can pour water in through the top and it swiftly comes out of the bottom, but they said it wouldn't matter because it's all about the pressure build up. Basically saying that just because I can pour water into the radiator and it comes right out doesn't excuse it of being clogged. This didn't start happening until a year and some change after the whole over heating thing. (2 yrs to be exact) Every once n awhile the system will run but won't build up pressure so im guessing that maybe the radiator is clogged, but sometimes the pressure can escape and work properly. The temperature hand through the city does go up fairly slowly, but once it gets to half it will sit there almost forever. I maybe can let it idle for 15 mins after it gets to half and it will slowly start to go up to red even faster if I turn on my AC. That could be from the rust and dirt on the outside of the radiator hendering cooling since the fans are always on full blast. So I ask you this fella's.. Can a clogged radiator build up pressure in the hoses so that they become really hard and tight? Does this sound like a radiator problem or a head prob?

Re: Head Gasket or Radiator

id say radiator. has the system ever been flushed? if not do it and see if it improves the problem.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

I would look into taking your radiator to a professional radiator shop to be checked and possibly cleaned out.

I had a very similar experience years ago and used that sealant/stop leak stuff, which I was later told never to use again. With time I experienced similar problems as you with overheating. Had the radiator flushed which did nothing for the problem other than waste some cash. I had read on this board about radiator shops rodding out the radiator ( i believe that is what it is called). When I took mine to the radiator shop they almost immediately called back and stated that 60-70% of mine was clogged from that stop leak/sealant and needed replacement. Since replacement and taking care of a few other leaks (intake manifold gaskets) mine has not had anymore over heating issues.

I got lucky and found a radiator new or just over $100, so it was a good deal to me. Good luck, and make sure to bleed the air out of your system-I recently forgot when replacing a friends radiator...

Comment

Yeah I'd steer clear of stop leak stuff. That's a band-aid that will probably screw you over later on. I'd just get it fixed properly. In an emergency you can loosen the radiator cap (leave it on though) and run w/o pressure to get you home or to keep leaking to a minimum. Definitely not a permanent solution, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Joey41 View Post
          I would look into taking your radiator to a professional radiator shop to be checked and possibly cleaned out.

I had a very similar experience years ago and used that sealant/stop leak stuff, which I was later told never to use again. With time I experienced similar problems as you with overheating. Had the radiator flushed which did nothing for the problem other than waste some cash. I had read on this board about radiator shops rodding out the radiator ( i believe that is what it is called). When I took mine to the radiator shop they almost immediately called back and stated that 60-70% of mine was clogged from that stop leak/sealant and needed replacement. Since replacement and taking care of a few other leaks (intake manifold gaskets) mine has not had anymore over heating issues.

I got lucky and found a radiator new or just over $100, so it was a good deal to me. Good luck, and make sure to bleed the air out of your system-I recently forgot when replacing a friends radiator...
          When they told you that your radiator was clogged did you ever pour water through it to see how it flowed? Did it show any signs of being clogged when you would pour water into it?

Comment

I wouldnt spend money at shop just yet. Try flushing the system a couple times, then get all the air. Then see if it continues

Comment

Originally posted by ThaDyce17 View Post
              When they told you that your radiator was clogged did you ever pour water through it to see how it flowed? Did it show any signs of being clogged when you would pour water into it?
              I did not even question it or check to see how water flowed through it. The radiator guy told me it was bad (60-70% clogged) so I took his word as it was bad. I knew that the stop leak stuff was all through out my system, there is still evidence today - 7 years later. I am sure many will think I am a fool for not checking, but I had a trusted radiator guy. Never over heated since I replaced it.

As for the comment of not spending money on a shop quite yet, I sort of disagree. I took my car to firestone to get it flushed and it did not do anything other than waste $60 or so. Maybe if you can flush the radiator at your house, than yes flush it a couple times, or take it somewhere a lot more professional than Firestone. The radiator only cost me a little over $100 so the flush was a waste in my situation...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X