Loud Clacking/Light Grinding Noise coming from A/C Compressor - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud Clacking/Light Grinding Noise coming from A/C Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Clacking/Light Grinding Noise coming from A/C Compressor

Hi Everybody! After going through 250 posts on threads regarding compressors, I didn't find any post about a loud clacking/grinding noise coming from the A/C compressor unit. This noise has gone on for almost 2 months and it is gradually getting worse.

The clacking sound goes away while I'm driving, but in idle it's horrific. Incredibly loud.

Twice last night while driving home I felt a new thing-- a drastic reduction in suction. The only way to explain it is like air was flowing freely through the hoses and then someone squeezed a hose and cut off the air. This caused the compressor to kind of hesitate like a car does when bearings may going bad. Now mind you, that happened while driving and the air is still blowing cold.

I lost my S-belt in the floods here in Nashville and got a ride to Auto Clone to grab a replacement and for some reason the belt made for my 3800 would not fit. Even with the pulley cranked down as far as it would go I could not get the belt on. So I had to go up the next size. I still had to hold the pulley down as far as it would go to get the larger belt on, but it's on and appears to be working quite well.

Here's the goofy part though-- I didn't have any of that clacking/grinding noise before I hit a flood puddle and lost my S-belt. Could water in the compressor be the culprit of all my problems???

The unit still blows cold as ice (thank God for Camaro's), and there's no issue with freeon. So did I damge something in the compressor when I hit that puddle?

Thanks for help from anyone who has had a similar experience. :o

I have a 2000 Camaro, 3800 engine.
    Last edited by mycatsadiva; 06-21-2010, 08:47 AM.
    Groovy is as groovy does.

Re: Loud Clacking/Light Grinding Noise coming from A/C Compressor

sounds like the clutch is going on you. you could always rebuild it.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

When you're idling, is the sound rhythmic? like is there a pattern to it, or is it kind of random?
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

If its like a rattle can grind/clunk with an almost meshing sound that dissappears when u feather the throttle then its the sound i heard each time my ac compressor started to fail. After 4 or 5 times replacing compressors i gave up on camaro ac. Works great in my 3800 s1 buick tho.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
          When you're idling, is the sound rhythmic? like is there a pattern to it, or is it kind of random?

T-Mill, it's definitely rhythmic -- not random at all.

I did something when I hit that puddle. There was enough force moving up from the water on the ground to knock the belt off. The hubbs thinks it's the compressor. I've priced them and dad gum. Holy guacamole.

Thanks so much for your input everyone. I REALLY appreciate the help.

Diva
          Last edited by mycatsadiva; 06-23-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneEightSeven View Post
            If its like a rattle can grind/clunk with an almost meshing sound that dissappears when u feather the throttle then its the sound i heard each time my ac compressor started to fail. After 4 or 5 times replacing compressors i gave up on camaro ac. Works great in my 3800 s1 buick tho.
            OneEightSeven,

My A/C has been blowing cold like a champ for 10 years. I have been very pleased with its durability.

Groovy name for you by the way.

Diva

Comment

It's hard to say without seeing/hearing in person, but I would check the pulleys... make sure there isn't too much wiggle in any of them and make sure they're all straight and not bent etc...
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
                make sure there isn't too much wiggle in any of them and make sure they're all straight and not bent etc...
                I'll look into it Wednesday. Thanks.

Comment

there is something very wrong if you had to use a different sized belt

Comment

Originally posted by kristen View Post
                    sounds like the clutch is going on you. you could always rebuild it.

Hi Kristen,

I think you may be right.

I don't have the time to rebuild it--least not this week. I don't think it's a job someone with my inexperience can figure out in a day.

I'm supposed to be going up north (7-hr. drive) next week; and after what I've been reading about A/C clutches and clutch bearrings I'm nervous. I've read that the clutch can get super hot and ruin component parts. Although I am getting cold air, I'm freaking out about driving.

I do not want to replace the compressor since I'm getting both hot and cold air. I wonder if the hesitation I've been dealing with while driving on occassion has also stemmed from this same problem?

Oh well. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for your reply. I value the your input.

Diva

Comment

with the heat wave that we are having up here....don't take that ride unless you don't mind the heat incase it burns out.

if it was me, i'd just spend the extra money and get a new compressor.
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Thanks for your comments, kids! Problem solved.

Got into the unit and found debris and junk from the flood. Whew!! Now I've still got to figure out why the hesitation when I drive, but that's another issue for another time.

I did learn some interesting things though about the compressor and all the parts, bearings and such inside. I also learned a lot of garages don't rebuild anything. They claim it's because the auto manufacturing companies are building them so they can't be repaired. But if that's the case, then why so many part stores where you can buy clutches, bearings and gaskets??? Not rebuilding a mechanism seems pretty anti-green to me.

Augh! Someone, stop the hypocrisy!!!

Have a great weekend everybody!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X