Who has played around with underdrive pulleys? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has played around with underdrive pulleys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has played around with underdrive pulleys?

Just looking around at some things.. and wondering and actual gains from these?
    Last edited by ACiFiC; 06-09-2010, 04:48 PM.
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Re: Who has played around with underdrive pulleys?

waste of money on these cars even if you can find some imo.

Comment

s0o what its better to buy the stock ones??...i wanna know bout these t0o cuz 2-3 of my pulley's are squeaking...

Comment

ZZP makes them i believe. Good for a couple ponys and probably faster acceleration..idk.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the underdrive pulley set works well for the 3.4 and doesnt make much of a difference for the 3.8. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I dont know they make it sound good when they sell it

Comment

look around in the search a little. I pretty sure I'm right though. I'm sure they help a little on the 3.8. Do whatever you want tho, it's your ride and every little bit counts in HP. :)

Comment

Underdrive pulley systems increase engine horsepower by reducing the amount of power required to drive external engine accessories. For example, the alternator, power steering, water pump and air conditioner all rob horsepower from the engine. By replacing factory-sized crank and accessory drive pulleys with a resized pulley, the accessories are slowed, resulting in more horsepower available to drive the rear wheels. Typically, a set of underdrive pulleys will increase output by 7-12 horsepower, resulting in quarter mile improvements of .1 to .2 seconds.... so probably 1-2 ponies

Comment

ive heard useless on the 3.8 but nice upgrade on a 3.4

Comment

soo whats the good pulley set thats out there??

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
                      Underdrive pulley systems increase engine horsepower by reducing the amount of power required to drive external engine accessories. For example, the alternator, power steering, water pump and air conditioner all rob horsepower from the engine. By replacing factory-sized crank and accessory drive pulleys with a resized pulley, the accessories are slowed, resulting in more horsepower available to drive the rear wheels. Typically, a set of underdrive pulleys will increase output by 7-12 horsepower, resulting in quarter mile improvements of .1 to .2 seconds.... so probably 1-2 ponies
                      The 3.8 pulleys are already underdriven out of the factory i doubt you'll see 12hp out of buying an aftermarket set

Comment

On my 200 amp Alt that just came , it has a smaller pulley on it, they say its suppose to help the output of the Alt. at idle, I haven't installed it yet but will see.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                          On my 200 amp Alt that just came , it has a smaller pulley on it, they say its suppose to help the output of the Alt. at idle, I haven't installed it yet but will see.
                          yea my reman. alternator came with a smaller pulley too. I left it on there. :)
                          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                            yea my reman. alternator came with a smaller pulley too. I left it on there. :)
                            Did you notice a difference at idle in voltage?
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              Did you notice a difference at idle in voltage?
                              no idea really, I did it before I got into heavily modifying the car and didn't pay attention to it before as I didn't plan on the pulley being different.
                              http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X