why my oil smells like gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why my oil smells like gas?

I was looking my oil level in my dipstick and i smell it,and it smells like gas.Why is that? is it anything that i should worried about? :(

are you positive it was gas? if you havnt changed your oil in a while it will a faint smell of gas which is normal. when i first changed my oil i smelled it and i thought the same thing but my dad told me it was normal.

Comment

Im not sure,but its smells like gas.I have been idling my car sometimes 10-20 minutes in winter times.maybe it dosnt smell like gas when i start to drive it in summer and change the oil,maybe it just smelling like gas because i have been idling the car?

Comment

jeeeze. why do you let it idle soo long?? you must go through a lot of gas every week just idling. but yeah i wouldnt worry about the gas smell. i think i know what your describing and its normal.

Comment

because you are suppose to let a car warm up alittle to prevent damage....jeeeze
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

What year is your car? And how quickly does the gas contaminate the oil? After a few hundred miles? Or a few thousand?

The FPR diaphragm can degrade over time and allow fuel to be sucked past it into the vacuum line, and end up back in the crankcase.
            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Have you used any oil cleaner type products? Like seafoam or something? That could explain it.
              \'96 A4 Camaro 3800<br />Nothing but... <br />Flowmaster 40 series

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ:
                What year is your car? And how quickly does the gas contaminate the oil? After a few hundred miles? Or a few thousand?

The FPR diaphragm can degrade over time and allow fuel to be sucked past it into the vacuum line, and end up back in the crankcase.
                My car is 92 v6 3.1 firebird.I changed my oils just before winter,i Drove it about 625 miles,before i put it in my garage to wait summer.I havent been driving my car in 3-4 months,it just been in the garage all that time.Sometimes i go and start my car and let it idle a bit.Maybe there is gas smell in the oil because i have let the car idle? What is FPR diaphragm? How expensive it would replace or fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by ThatsMeGC:
                  Have you used any oil cleaner type products? Like seafoam or something? That could explain it.
                  No, i havent been using any oil cleaner products. Just gm goodwrench motor oil,5w30 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Could the problem be with the gas smell if my engine is running rich? i use shell v-power,is it too high octane gas for my v6 92 firebird??

Comment

If you are running rich and have gas in the oil then it could be the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) especially with the age of your car. There is a vacuum controlled diaphragm in the FPR that adjusts the pressure.
                      1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

see if there's a lab to send a sample of oil in Sweden. Any normal lab analysis [not terribly expensive] will show whether or not the oil is being diluted by excessive fuel in it.

A slight smell of fuel in the oil isn't unusual for a car that idles a lot.
                        \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Originally posted by terminaldegree:

A slight smell of fuel in the oil isn't unusual for a car that idles a lot.
                          Go to a used car lot, where they idle a lot just to keep the batterys charged, or to run for the customers, they all smell like gas. I would not worry about it being your car idles so much.
                          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

The worst thing that you can do with your car in storage is to run the engine periodically like you do. Because your engine oil temperature is not getting hot enough, it is not burning off:
                            1) the gas that is absorbed due to rich AFR in cold open loop
                            2) moisture being collected in the engine.

What you are doing is promoting moisture collection in the engine and that will result in corrosion on the engine internals.

This is a big problem with engines in the aircraft industry where private aircraft owners who do not fly thier aircraft alot, think that they are doing good things by going out to the aircraft and running it for 5 or 10 min. Each time they do this more moisture collects in the engine, and after continually doing this they end up with a moisture build up problem. Lots of engine failures are occurring because of excessively worn parts due to corrosion.

The recommendation is that if you are going to run your engine periodically when your vehicle is in storage you have to make sure that you get the oil temp (not engine temp) to at least 160 degress C for at least 30 min to ensure impurity burn off. If you can't do this, then don't run the engine at all. You'll be better off in the long run.

DZ
                            Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

I'm sorry, that should be 160 degrees F not C!!
                              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X