Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me vs. the Dealership, Round 1

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=012496

I don't know if it's just me, but I have this profound fear of going to the dealership only to find that they're going to be dickheads about my warranty that I paid $1300 for *3 year 36k mile on 62k miled camaro*

So I bring the car in, not exactly sure how to do it, i just followed this van in front of me. And the guy comes over, writes down my license plate number and says to go by the desk. He proceeds to get the mileage and such on my vehicle. Comes back to the desk and we talk.. he says you've got an oil leak somewhere? I'm like, um.. it's my oil pan, you don't have to go look for it. He's like, "ok". I show him my warranty *keep in mind the warranty company has gone out of business* and he says that they honor it.

So I go sit down while they're "looking" at it. turns out..

THEY'RE GONNA FIX MY OIL PAN! The thing that sucks though is that I don't get my car back till Monday :(

He said that there are 2 cracks.. one in the gasket and one by the plug. What exactly is a gasket? Is it like a washer?

He said, that it is covered under my warranty, but it's going to take a little bit because they have to move the engine!

I'm so excited, they even gave me a ride home just 20 min. ago!

How much would this have cost from a mechanic?
    Is changing a oil pan really that big of a pain in the ***? And is getting it back Monday too long to wait? Thx!

Round 1
    Winner is me!!!
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Gasket is a rubbery (or sometimes paper, cardboard-like, or metal) surface that goes in between metal things that mate.
    There's one b/t your TB and your intake manifolds.
    One between your rear end cover and your rear end.
    One between your head and your block.
    etc
    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

so what's the head gasket? is it really big?
      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

yes an oilpan gasket is a major deal. i just did mine and the transmission has to be pulled in order to remove the gasket because the gasket is a solid formed one and will not slide out. also the oil pickup tube must be removed. i was quoted $300 approx. for my job until i did it myself. i was fortunate to have a lift to put it on though.
        1998 Onyx Black Camaro A4 2.75\" Custom Flomaster Catback, Removed Cat, MTI Lid, Jet Power Programmer, K&N air filter, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, maf screen removed.

Comment

You didn't say anything to them about the tranny?

- Justin
          <a href=\"http://www.njfboa.org\" target=\"_blank\">New Jersey F-Body Owners Association</a><br />1987 Camaro LT - 400sbc, Aluminum L98\'s w/valve job, Comp XE 274, Q-Junk 750, 3.23 posi, 4.10\'s soon.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11\" target=\"_blank\">East Coast F-Body Nationals - August 14, 2005</a>

Comment

Jackstands or ramps and about an hour worth of work.

Comment

so is it common for our oil pans to leak becuz i had mine parked over the winter and noticed that mine has a small leak now and it a appears to be around the drain plug, but i didnt really look to check the oil drain pan gasket itself
              94 Pontiac Firebird-V6<br />-NxWetKit,RamAir,MSD Dis4, Coils,&Wires,DynomaxExhuast w/testpipe,NittoDR\'s&DunlopSPort5000s,17\"CrEagleAl loys,TransgoShifKit/VetteServo<br />91 Jeep Wrangler-5.7 Chevy350<br />-6\"ProComp SuspensionLift,M/T BajaClaws35x12.5,& more goodies

Comment

I also have noticed alot of oil near the bottom front of my engine, my sway bar is covered. Could my car have a leak too? I do smell an oil burning type smell near the front after I turn the car off. Oil pressure is fine and my oil level is good too.
                New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
                RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
                crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
                The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by '98 BlackBird:
                  I also have noticed alot of oil near the bottom front of my engine, my sway bar is covered. Could my car have a leak too? I do smell an oil burning type smell near the front after I turn the car off. Oil pressure is fine and my oil level is good too.
                  Timing chain cover leak or front of the intake leak? Both are possible!

Later,
                  Erica
                  2002 Navy Blue Camaro<br />Tinted Windows, Chrome Rims, West Wings Grill, Flowmaster Cat-Back.

Comment

when my dad pulled my motor he said my rear mian was shot to hell
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

nah, I didn't mention the tranny.. one thing at a time.. keeping things safe till i can get the shift kit out.. then I'll bring it in. I'm just so excited that they are fixing it, without any hassle My rear pinion had a seal leak so i know leakings on fbodies are common.. at least the ones i have owned.

thx for the support everyone.. round 2 will be the tranny [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

my rear main seal leaks like a cheap silicone implant.
                        \'97 v6. based out. See sig.<br />\"I\'d rather be rich than stupid\"

Comment

your tranny is messed up, and you have a shift kit? and you want to get it covered by a warranty? thats kind of dick......

Comment

quote:
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally posted by '98 BlackBird:
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timing chain cover leak or front of the intake leak? Both are possible!

Later,
                            Erica

I have the same smell after i get out of my car too, how hard are these problems to fix, and could it be anything else? And is it worth it to fix the problem? I have a 97 3.8 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian:
                              your tranny is messed up, and you have a shift kit? and you want to get it covered by a warranty? thats kind of dick......
                              first off.. my tranny was messed up PRIOR to the shift kit. I had the hard 1st-2nd gear shift.. but at the time, I didn't know that was a problem with our cars. Furthermore, a shift kit is advertised to extend the life of the transmission, which is something I was hoping to accomplish by installing one. It's not until recently has my car starting having a lull in switching gears at 60mph+ at wot. So was I ignorant? yeah, ignorant about the working parts of our cars.. Am I trying to be an *** and get something for free in which I don't deserve? No, I don't think that at all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X