Brake lights - Spoiler works, neither side works...suggestions? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake lights - Spoiler works, neither side works...suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lights - Spoiler works, neither side works...suggestions?

Hey folks,
    Suddenly, my brake lights stop working (except for the cyclops spoiler brake light, it is fine). Tail lights work fine.

I've checked / changed out the 20 amp fuse.
    Replaced all 4 bulbs in back.
    Checked the ground that is right there next to the trunk release (cleaned, reseated).
    Check conntinuity from the quick disconnnect at the top of the drivers side portion of the trunk to the light bulb holders themselves. All good.

I'm guessing the problem may lay at the switch itself under the dash, on the brake arm. Are there different switchs for the cyclops and the side brake lights?

Thx for any help.

Tim

Re: Brake lights - Spoiler works, neither side works...suggestions?

Maybe a relay somewhere. How suddenly did it stop working? Were you doing something at the time , working on the car recently?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

ssms...thanks for the response.

I have them working now, but not 100% sure of how I fixed it.

While poking, prodding around under the dash trying to determine continuity from front to back, I had pulled apart what i thought was the turn / hazard swith assy wiring connector (per Chilton's wiring diagram). Looking further along the steering column, tightly attached to it, was another wiring connector block. One end of this appeard to have worked itself loose on one end. I popped it back down and the brake lights started working.

I began to button things up, and they quit again...damn. Re-seated it, tried to make sure there is no strain on any wires, and they are working now.

I'll keep an eye them, but for now, fingers crossed, it's fixed.

Comment

Good to hear.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The brake lights feed through the turn signal switch in the column IIRC. But the CHMSL doesn't.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X