Rebuilt engine prep and break in procedure? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuilt engine prep and break in procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt engine prep and break in procedure?

Hey guys,

Im real close to finishing my rebuilt motor and was wondering what break in procedure everybody follows. Also did any of you pre-oil in one form or another? my machinest told me that sisnce i have now way to turn the oil pump sepratly from the crank that i should just fill the filter best i can and start the car and watch the pressure. He told me that the assembly lube he used should be adaquite for the time it takes for the oil to curculate. Please chime in if you have any suggestions or experience with this situation.

Jeff
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Re: Rebuilt engine prep and break in procedure?

I ran brad penn oil at first for break in. Also pull the fuel pump fuse out and crank the car to prime the oil up to get pressure, you don't want to dry start it even with the assembly lube. A few cranks should get the pressure up then put the fuel pump fuse back in.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
      I ran brad penn oil at first for break in. Also pull the fuel pump fuse out and crank the car to prime the oil up to get pressure, you don't want to dry start it even with the assembly lube. A few cranks should get the pressure up then put the fuel pump fuse back in.
      Thats what I did. You can find the relay for the fuel pump behind the drivers side kick panel. Break it in some before you have the case relearn done. The scanner I used to do the relearn had me rev it in neutral until it hit the rev limiter. Around 4000rpms maybe?

Comment

they both hit it on the pulling the fuel pump relay and spinning it over. i filled the filter the best i could and spun it over till i saw oil pressure, then fired it up. you wanna make sure that you have oil to the lifters so they pump up nicely and it fires the first spin.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Comment

just make sure you change the oil after a few hundred miles, i would also suggest using the bigger pf52 style filter if you dont already do that.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
              just make sure you change the oil after a few hundred miles, i would also suggest using the bigger pf52 style filter if you dont already do that.
              is that a general size?

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                is that a general size?
                its the ac delco number.. our cars take pf47, but most people use a pf52 because it is bigger, and holds a tiny bit more oil

Comment

cool i am gonna go ahead with the suggested prep work. As fas as actual break in any specific procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                    cool i am gonna go ahead with the suggested prep work. As fas as actual break in any specific procedure?
                    there isnt really much break in procedures for roller cams.

personally i would start the car, let it get to operating temp and then let it cool back down, then take it for a small drive, 10-15 min and let it cool back off again.

after doing that a few times you should be good.

some people suggest running the engine really hard to break the rings in, but IMO its not needed.

if you have a manual you can go down a hill and let it engine brake, that helps break the rings in also

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      if you have a manual you can go down a hill and let it engine brake, that helps break the rings in also
                      From my research this is the only important part for break-in... either by going down a hill, or just accelerating and downshifting from mid-high RPM's... Helps to push the rings against the cylinders
                      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
                        From my research this is the only important part for break-in... either by going down a hill, or just accelerating and downshifting from mid-high RPM's... Helps to push the rings against the cylinders
                        yup, and IIRC the moly rings require basically no break in at all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X