coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant leak

Well recently I had a shop do a coolant flush on the camaro.

A few days later on the way home, my temp would fluctuate rather strangely, I don't know if its a bad thermostat or what but I began smelling coolant.

I made it home and coolant was pretty much gushing out and pooled near my driver side front tire. Today, I added water into the coolant to see where the leak is coming from. At first it's a small trickle from right underneath the alternator near the idler pully. It's a small leak there but it seems to be leaking from the back or the bottom of the block as well. From a ground view, I can see the water gushing out from the passenger side header area.

I haven't had a chance to put it on jacks yet to check out exactly what it is.

Could the shop pulled something and forgot to put it back in when flushing the coolant? I checked my Haynes manual, and for the coolant flush, you have to remove knock sensors on each side of the block as well as some of the valve releases?

Any ideas or suggestions on what else I can check to pinpoint the problem? Thanks everyone!
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: coolant leak

where did you take it? did they do a coolant flush or a coolant exchange the processes are different and require removing different things

The leak below the alternator is probably the plastic coolant elbow that goes from the LIM to the idler pulley bracket, which isn't something that a shop should've messed with... as for the other leak, could be coming from a few different places... I'd be giving that shop a call
    Last edited by T-Mill; 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM.
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

x's 2 on ^.

as for the gushing though, it could be the hoses that go out to the heater core...thats the only thing that comes to mind for me...
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I took it to Firestone. They did a coolant flush for sure.

I just haven't had time to put the car up on jacks! I will def give the shop a call.

Any other ideas?
        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Check this link Koa...Good luck

http://www.camaroforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=49527

Comment

If you have not had one in a while, they probably knocked the sludge out of the system and now it's leaking from the freeze plugs. Seen this happen before and it will happen again. Coolant will sludge up like oil will if it isnt' changed often.

Comment

or they just didn't seat the freeze plugs right
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X