plz help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plz help

my car started missing in cylinder 5 on monday. so i it the spark plugs or coil packs?

Re: plz help

Is this on a 3.8? Assuming it is a 3.8, then the following are most likely suspects. Without checking these there's no way we can just tell you what it is. I listed them in order of likeliness and ease of replacement.

1. Spark plug wire.
    2. Coil pack.
    3. Spark plug.
    4. Ignition Control Module (ICM)
    5. Injector.

For wires its easy. Just check the wire on #5 (may as well check them all). Look for burns/melts and make sure the boot is firmly on the plug and on the coil pack electrode.

For coil packs you can try taking the plug wire boot off and see if consistent spark is coming out of that part of the coil pack. Also you can see if it's grounding on itself all over the plastic which may indicate cracks. You can often see this in the dark. The second way to test is to swap the pack with another pack you're already using. If the miss moves with the swap then u know that pack is bad.

For spark plugs, take out the #5 plug. The side electrode (which is gapped over the center electrode) should be white/clean. The gap should be 0.060". There should be no cracks in the ceramic.

Not sure how to test the ICM off the top of my head. Someone else could chime in here.

For injectors you can test them with a volt meeter. I forget what the voltage should be.
    Last edited by OneEightSeven; 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: plz help

thx. i will check it tomorrow when i get to work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X