Help with Bar's Stop Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bar's Stop Leak

Recently I discovered I had a intake gasket leak and it started to suck up air from outside. So I ran this block seal stuff in my car hoping it'd do something. It's the kind that can be added to Anti-Freeze... Anyways I ran it so now im waiting for it to cool off. It said it could seal Intake Gaskets. Do you guys thing it'll work? Have you ever used it for an Intake Gasket leak before?

Re: Help with Bar's Stop Leak

that stuff is just a cover up for a problem that should be fixed right the first place.

it just delays the problem until it gets so bad it wont work anymore.

IMO if i were you, i would fix it right the first time imstead of playing around with that stuff.

my friend has a leak in his rad and used that, he has to add more of it all of the time because it only fixes the leak for a few months.

Comment

Lol ya... bandaid at best. Intake mani is not that bad to fix.
      sigpic

Comment

4-6 hour job with some beers...if you have no experience with cars, this is a great time to learn...get a buddy with some experience to help you out, and pick up the haynes manual for the torque specs and step by step...its not hard at all...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

A friend of mine tried coolant system stop leak, and it ended up plugging up his heater core.

Comment

Barr's leak stop won't be a permanent fix, especially for a gasket leak. It does seal pinhole leaks very well. It's why GM recommends adding it (or thier own version of it) everytime the coolant is flushed.

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            that stuff is just a cover up for a problem that should be fixed right the first place.

it just delays the problem until it gets so bad it wont work anymore.

IMO if i were you, i would fix it right the first time imstead of playing around with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaDyce17 View Post
              Recently I discovered I had a intake gasket leak and it started to suck up air from outside.....
              If its sucking air from outside, adding something to the antifreeze to block leaks probably won't work anyway. And as others have said, it tends to block heater cores, especially in older vehicles where there might be a little buildup to begin with.

JMO

Comment

You are in for real trouble now. That stuff will clog up your heater core, radiator, thermostat, and even stick to the water pump impeller.

Bad idea...

Comment

my 02' chev 350 had the dreaded disolving intake gasket leak too, about 4 years and almost 100,000 miles ago. Bars rules. Recomended by the chevy dealer. Or you could tear the top of your engine apart. Better have the beers first, just to think it over.

Comment

If it were my car I would fix it properly, rather than adding gunk to the cooling system.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

From my experience any quick fix will also lead to quick failure... There really aren't any quick fixes out there because no matter how effective the fix is, there are always drawbacks to not doing it properly... in this case, it's better to just fix it properly instead of using stop leak because even if it does stop your leak without clogging anything up, you never know when the leak will come back (and it will) and it's better to do the work now with the car in you driveway/garage instead of somewhere down the line when the car overheats on the side of the highway at 2 in the morning...
                      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X