valve cover gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover gasket replacement

How and anything else to know about it? What brand and material should I use for replacement? Can I drive the car with a leaky valve cover? Thanks:dj:

Re: valve cover gasket replacement

I put Fel-Pro's on mine and they are fine. I believe they were $10 for both.

Comment

its not really gonna hurt anything if you drive around with it leaking, but i would be kinda annoying and you would have to check the oil every so often.
      They can be kind of a pain to replace, because the engine lift brackets block a bolt and can be rather hard to get them off, especially the one on the passenger side.

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Ive only seen the blue silicone type gaskets for the our valve covers. You can still drive it depending on how bad the leak is. It is kind of embarrassing to have smoke coming out from under the hood if its dripping on the exhaust. If it gets bad enough it could even catch fire; not to scare you, but it could happen.

Comment

thanks guys for the feedback!

Comment

Remember to go back and retorque the bolts after a few miles.
            Stephen<br />1995 Pontiac Firebird<br />3800 Series II V6<br /><br />2000 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Before taking the covers off, try retorquing the cover bolts. On one of my cars (not the Bird) the bolts worked themselves totally loose.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                its not really gonna hurt anything if you drive around with it leaking, but i would be kinda annoying and you would have to check the oil every so often.
                They can be kind of a pain to replace, because the engine lift brackets block a bolt and can be rather hard to get them off, especially the one on the passenger side.
                having oil drip on hot exhaust manifolds is a great way to catch the car on fire.

Comment

ant body know the torques for the bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by ricsroccharles View Post
                    ant body know the torques for the bolts?
                    not sure, but when i do gaskets like that i usually put them as tight as i can with my hands, then tighten then just a tiny bit more with the wrench

most gaskets are usually between 9-13ftlb

Comment

My book shows it as 89 in-lbs. Would that be 7.4 ft-lbs I believe.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

sweet thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X