Cheap fix needed for heater hose quick connector...... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap fix needed for heater hose quick connector......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap fix needed for heater hose quick connector......

One of the ears on the quick connect broke off and the hose popped out of the hole and sprayed out antifreeze everywhere.
    From what i read the full hose and connector is one piece and costs an arm and a leg. I refuse to pay that when GM should of just used a nipple and hose clamp. Especially when i really only need a new o ring and quick connect small clip.
    Ive read others useing new gm metal quick connects but they are $50 bucks a piece,,,im I the only one who thinks thats robbery still??

Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it without these dumb priced parts. (this is on the wifes 97 3800 firebird)

Re: Cheap fix needed for heater hose quick connector......

owning our cars is sort of like living in the ghetto, u get robbed regularly ;P but yea the prices of some of these things are kind of retarded. good luck :)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcurrieta View Post
      One of the ears on the quick connect broke off and the hose popped out of the hole and sprayed out antifreeze everywhere.
      From what i read the full hose and connector is one piece and costs an arm and a leg. I refuse to pay that when GM should of just used a nipple and hose clamp. Especially when i really only need a new o ring and quick connect small clip.
      Ive read others useing new gm metal quick connects but they are $50 bucks a piece,,,im I the only one who thinks thats robbery still??

Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it without these dumb priced parts. (this is on the wifes 97 3800 firebird)
      Yeah, the clip is stupid, but that's not why I replaced mine. The freaking hose melted. Buying a new one was expensive, as you've realized. I went to a junkyard for this item. He wanted about $50, but another guy tried to stiff me for $150.

I shoulda kept the clips off the old one and sent 'em to ya. :(

Comment

maybe ask some of the guys that have cars listed on here that they are parting out if they still have that part?

Comment

i feel ur pain, they just got me for the two heater hose gaskets at 15 a piece

Comment

you could tap the port with threads and screw in a fitting from the hardware that goes to barb, then clamp the hose to the barb end. Just make sure to take the tensioner bracket off first so you are not putting metal shavings into your cooling system
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i think ill skip taking the tentioner off,,, its brand new,, last guy just put a new one on,,, maybe he cracked the clip and thats why it broke. If i mess up the threads ill have to spend more money,,, and its not my car or money so i dont wanna take that risk.

as for getting a clip on here i thought of that,,, im in canada and kinda need something now. the car is stuck in the yard and untill i can fix this i cant even start it. but is an option.. thanks

any one have any other ideas?? are universal quick connects sold anywere (male part) that i can just clamp to the hose.

Comment

Find a brass hose barb connection and epoxy it on the aluminum housing.

OR,

Find a nylon hose barb and see if you can get a tight friction fit.

Comment

Doesn't the 3.8 in FWD cars use a different system than ours, with normal hoses? If so, is there a way to put those connectors on our engines? Or is this all part of the tensioner assembly?
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

yah its part of the tensioner in our cars not sure what others use.

Comment

OK, so then will a tensioner off a 3.8 FWD work on our cars? If it does, that will be a good thing to remember someday when I need to replace the tensioner.
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by jcurrieta View Post

Go to this website. http://www.v6fixit.com/

They make aftermarket hose connectors and they sell a hose kit to make the hole repair. Plus its a hole lot cheaper then the dealership. Worked great for me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X