Messed up the throttle on a 98.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed up the throttle on a 98.

Went on a wild goose chase to replace the upper intake manifold gasket, when it turns out the coolant leak was from those stupid plastic elbows. I should take advice given on th is forum more to heart, since I ignored at least two recommendations to inspect the elbows before I got neck deep in my engine.

Anyway, in the process I had to take off the throttle body, which meant disconnecting the two throttle cables from the bracket and spring which are bolted onto the throttle body. When I put it back together, I thought I had it right, but when I fired up the engine, there was absolutely no pressure behind the gas pedal. I tapped it once and the engine nearly redlined before I could turn it off.

Could anyone with the angled throttle body engine perhaps take an up-close picture of their throttle assembly and upload it if possible? I can't figure out how this spring is supposed to be oriented.

I appreciate it.

Re: Messed up the throttle on a 98.

So you're telling me you turned a Chevy into a Toyota?

This is about the best I can do from my personal pics..
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewhi...id=18325133288

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Atreus21 View Post
      Went on a wild goose chase to replace the upper intake manifold gasket, when it turns out the coolant leak was from those stupid plastic elbows. I should take advice given on th is forum more to heart, since I ignored at least two recommendations to inspect the elbows before I got neck deep in my engine.

Anyway, in the process I had to take off the throttle body, which meant disconnecting the two throttle cables from the bracket and spring which are bolted onto the throttle body. When I put it back together, I thought I had it right, but when I fired up the engine, there was absolutely no pressure behind the gas pedal. I tapped it once and the engine nearly redlined before I could turn it off.

Could anyone with the angled throttle body engine perhaps take an up-close picture of their throttle assembly and upload it if possible? I can't figure out how this spring is supposed to be oriented.

I appreciate it.
      It won't be until Wednesday before I can post a pic. I checked SI and it doesn't have a good diagram, so I'll take a pic for you, unless someone else beats me to it.

Comment

I just had a little trouble figuring out the throttle cables myself. Not the best pics since I took them on my cell phone. Hope this helps:

The first time I put it on the cable closer to the throtle body fell out of it's groove, luckily the engine was off before I decided to check if it was working.
        94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
        97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
        98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

Originally posted by lil' jon View Post
          I just had a little trouble figuring out the throttle cables myself. Not the best pics since I took them on my cell phone. Hope this helps:

The first time I put it on the cable closer to the throtle body fell out of it's groove, luckily the engine was off before I decided to check if it was working.
          Jesus. Your phone takes better pictures than my freaking camera.

Thank you so much. I have two questions:

The plate to which the two cables are connected: When properly installed, if you rotate it, is it supposed to retract itself? See, I thought I had it correctly situated on the spring, but it was still able to easily move back and forth.

Second, stemming from the first. Could you identify where the other "hook" in the spring sets? I identified that one of the hooked into the plate, but I think I have the other side incorrectly placed.

Again, thanks very much for your help.
          Last edited by Atreus21; 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I'm not completely sure about the spring since I didn't take it completely apart.I just disconnected the cables. It should be trying to force the throttle plate clock-wise though.
            94 Camaro convertible -- mostly stock
            97 Firebird -- Project Car - kyb agx shocks, eibach springs, 3.42 torsen diff, aluminum driveshaft, slp cai, pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat-back. hptuners. not done yet.
            98 Firebird -- Parts Car

Comment

I pretty much amde my own bracket for my TB, after I didn't know M5 TB's are different than A4 TB's , but it came out fine and I can adjust how much play I want in the cable , so I can barely tap the pedal now and it takes off like if it was computer controlled.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X