~ Knocking on startup ~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~ Knocking on startup ~

Camaro sat for a week when I went on vacation. First day back it was fine. But every other day when I crank up I hear a bad knocking. Doesnt sound like that old lifter tap I used to get with the Bird. But it does go away pretty quick, just like the lifter tap did. The first day it did it, it lasted a good 50yards down the road (2 minutes or so). Scared the hell outta me... Everyother time it was just a few seconds. I can hear it knocking faster with higher RPM (while parked and on road), so its deff related to engine.

No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. No smoke. Not loosing any water...
    Oil pressure good, but does fluctuate a little.

Current codes are bank one O2 (which Ive had since ive owned the car)

Whats the next step guys?
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: ~ Knocking on startup ~

you have a rdo knock. It happens when the car is cold and then goes away when it warms up.

Comment

i know this is stupid, but are you low on oil?

when i do oil changes my engine knocks a bit before the oil pressure goes up.

if you have low oil the pickup might be sucking up air causing the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Watazz View Post
        you have a rdo knock. It happens when the car is cold and then goes away when it warms up.
        Plenty of other times it doesnt. Why now? What is RDO?

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
        i know this is stupid, but are you low on oil?

when i do oil changes my engine knocks a bit before the oil pressure goes up.

if you have low oil the pickup might be sucking up air causing the same thing
        Not low on oil. Oil pressure isnt low at all, ~60 psi. If it was sucking air wouldnt it do it all the time?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post

Not low on oil. Oil pressure isnt low at all, ~60 psi. If it was sucking air wouldnt it do it all the time?
          not necessarily, it could change when going around bends, etc.

I read somewhere where someone had a messed up oil pump pickup gasket, and it was sucking up air causing the oil pressure to be a bit wacky.

Im not saying that is your problem, but it is a suggestion.

most engine knocking is usually caused by bad bearings, or a worn out wrist pin on the piston, but the causes of both of those problems are usually oil related.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
            not necessarily, it could change when going around bends, etc.

I read somewhere where someone had a messed up oil pump pickup gasket, and it was sucking up air causing the oil pressure to be a bit wacky.

Im not saying that is your problem, but it is a suggestion.

most engine knocking is usually caused by bad bearings, or a worn out wrist pin on the piston, but the causes of both of those problems are usually oil related.
            Never did anything different when turning. It was only once it lasted longer than for a few seconds. But thats only when I cranked it up, and its only when just starting the first time that day. I think three times its done it when when at idle because it stopped before I took off. The time I took off down the street (turn and all) it didnt change at all (cept with RPM); it was there then it wasnt.

Wouldnt my PSI drop considerably I it was sucking air? Should I run some SeaF to get out the gunk?

You it did sit a few days with no oil when I was changing out the clutch. Wonder if that could have anything to do with it...
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry about that dude, um i meant lifter knock. Sometimes the lifter doesnt get that right amount of oil on start up. But after it gets what it needs it will shut up. If the lifter is knocking it wount do it all the time. alot of the times its random as piss. Im not sure i would worry about it too terribly much.

Comment

Never did anything different when turning. It was only once it lasted longer than for a few seconds. But thats only when I cranked it up, and its only when just starting the first time that day. I think three times its done it when when at idle because it stopped before I took off. The time I took off down the street (turn and all) it didnt change at all (cept with RPM); it was there then it wasnt.

Wouldnt my PSI drop considerably I it was sucking air? Should I run some SeaF to get out the gunk?

You it did sit a few days with no oil when I was changing out the clutch. Wonder if that could have anything to do with it...
                my car knocked on startup when i had it sit for a few days also when i took my trans out last week.

i also did the oil pan gasket, so it sat for 2 days with no oil and a completely dry oil pickup.

if your oil pressure is good though, i would look elsewhere.

when i had a clogged lifter, i had ticking, and my engine was also knocking, but the knock only happened about once every 4 seconds, it was pretty strange

Comment

I'd dump some EOS in it just because it's so cheap, and it stopped a similar problem on my slant six.

Comment

I had a friend with a v6 firebird, and a 1991 broco that did the same thing. Sounded like a friggin spun bearing at first, then went away after about 10 mins of driving. You can try oil treatments, if that doesnt work the lifter is more than likely F'd.

Comment

yeah sounds like my engine right before it died. sitting with no oil in it could have cause it to fubar the bearings

Comment

I wonder if Im okay. It hasnt done it in a few days now
                        sigpic

Comment

Damn.. did it this morning for about 10 seconds
                          sigpic

Comment

Happened again... This time about 5 minutes!

Sounded like it was coming from alternaor area or below/behind it... like that helps...

Anymore input guys... wtf do i do?
                            sigpic

Comment

drain 2 quarts of oil out of the car. and poor a quart of diesel fuel and a quart of engine flush in the oil fill hole. run the engine for about 5 min. (idling) and then drain. buy some synthetic oil and a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer.
                              (edit) "By running the diesel and the engine flush. You are cleaning and breaking down all the (shiz) in the engine and then flushing it out the drain whole." by sitting for a period of time. some crap might have broke loose..

Sometime debris can get in your push rods and not allow proper circulation of oil and cause the engine to tick.
                              I HAD this same problem when i got my car. I did the method above ^^^ and ever since i haven't heard a damnn word from the engine:D
                              Last edited by thedetailman; 04-07-2010, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X