Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c delete, which belt?

hello @all

i've registered here some time ago and never postet so i would like to introduce myself first: my name is natalie and i come from germany. i own a 1993 3.4 v6 firebird and put many work on it in the past and will do many more work in the future :)

and here is my first question:

i want to delete the a/c from the car because it never worked and the compressor makes very bad noise. i searched this forum and read some things about using a shorter belt but i'm not sure at all what lenght i need. some wrote about 67" and some others said 69". and in another threat i read something about a 610k6 belt wich is about 61". so i'm a little bit confused now. can you please help me?

i don't want to buy this delete pulley they sell on ebay because it is very expensive (incl. shipping to me).

thanks
    natalie

Re: a/c delete, which belt?

On a 3.8 I could tell you exactly which part numbers to get. Maybe someone knows for a 3.4. I would just measure it out with string (get a friend to help) and make sure to compensate for the tensioner. Also if the 3.4 has an idler pulley you could switch to a grooved one to spread out the belt a bit so it doesn't wear out other accessories. On 3.8's I changed out the idler pulley above the compressor and ran a belt around that.
    sigpic

Comment

well i figured it out myself. 69" is the right size.

Comment

Sorry guys I know this is old, but I'm doing the same thing as her right now on my 3.8. All I need to do is get a shorter belt? Does anyone know what size? I've already searched a ****ton and can't find anything!

Comment

Hey Unknown,

Here is what you need for a 3.8. I've been running this setup for a while now with 0 problems on my 99 3.8:

Belt: 805K6
          Pulley: 231051 (AutoZone Part Number)

This pulley is grooved and used to replace the smooth idler pulley above the compressor. Just loop the belt around it. This is a good idea over just using an even shorter belt, because some people have experienced failure of water pump or other accessories without it. If you don't put a grooved pulley in and just use a super short belt you won't be able to put proper pressure on the tensioner. You need your tensioner to provide tension!

I posted this in another thread some time ago after i spent like a few days chasing down parts and sizes. Maybe we need a sticky in howto forum. I could provide some nice pictures.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah your right I think y'all should, so just take off the tensioner puller by the ac and replace it with the one you said and use that belt? Sounds like a plan thanks. I'm having to do this bull**** because the front bracket has once again snapped due to not bolting in the compressor from the back. There's only three of these brackets left in the country at dealerships so this is what I'm gonna do till I can get the bracket, and maybe ill due this when I go to the track. Thanks bro!

Comment

No problem. Just change out the pulley and run the belt the way i said, that's it! Real easy, 20 min job.
              Last edited by OneEightSeven; 05-07-2010, 06:00 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Alrighty then a little follow up, the only issue I had on my 96 was the belt comes REALLY close to the heater hoses by the tensions, it might rub just a tad but not enough to cause problems, at least not in the short term. It responds to throttle a little quicker at WOT. Thanks again bro

Comment

Yea it's the same for me. Don't worry about it, I've been driving this way for a long while, it's fine. If you're worried about clearance on the metal u can shave the metal a bit.
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X