help: sudden mpg drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: sudden mpg drop

about the last two weeks i've been getting awful mileage in the 'maro and can't pinpoint the problem yet. normally, i'd have no problem seeing 30mpg unless i'm on the backroads getting on it hard, and the last two weeks i'm lucky if i'm seeing 15mpg. i just changed the oil, filters, cleaned and recharged my k&n, and the usual maintenance, so this is baffling me. she's throwing no codes, plugs and wires are new and not toasted, runs strong, and isn't giving me any other problems except for a blown header gasket which i've had for a while and never really did much for my mileage.

i'm thinking maybe a faulty 02 sensor, but i'm getting no codes, and just replaced one before the winter. all filters and fluids are new and maintained, but i am noticing a bit of oil dripping from the cutout. any ideas on what could be the culprit? help and suggestions are more than welcome.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Re: help: sudden mpg drop

Mine did the same about a month ago and I've hopefully narrowed it down to a bad O2 sensor (or two). Sure sucks getting just barely over 200 miles per tank.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

you said you did the simple stuff. Buty after you recharged the k&n you should really spray the hell out of you MAF with some MAF cleaner. I just recharged my filter too. Ill prob put about 50 miles or so on it, get a couple WOT pulls, then blast the hell outta my MAF with some cleaner.

is your cutout pre or post cat? You said you had a bad header gasket, that might also be your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
        you said you did the simple stuff. Buty after you recharged the k&n you should really spray the hell out of you MAF with some MAF cleaner. I just recharged my filter too. Ill prob put about 50 miles or so on it, get a couple WOT pulls, then blast the hell outta my MAF with some cleaner.

is your cutout pre or post cat? You said you had a bad header gasket, that might also be your problem.
        last time i recharged my filter i cleaned up the tb and MAF, but i just did this a few days ago after all my gas mileage trouble had already happened, so i know that isn't hurting anything --- basically just did it to see if it helped.

my cutout is post cat right before the rear axle, but once again, i've had a blown gasket for a while now and my mileage never dropped before. i just got in the SCE copper gaskets steve posted about so i'll be fixing that asap --- but i doubt that will correct my gas mileage much, especially not up another 15mpg where it was.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          Mine did the same about a month ago and I've hopefully narrowed it down to a bad O2 sensor (or two). Sure sucks getting just barely over 200 miles per tank.
          exactly what i'm hoping is the problem and not something i'll have to keep digging for --- i just washed up the 'maro yesterday while it was nice and put a half tank in to cruise on for the day, and ended up burning it all in just 109 miles :eek:

when she's up and running correctly, i can get well over 400 miles, if not almost 500 miles per tank --- 20 bucks of gas used to last me forever haha.

sigpic

Comment

yea man, that just sounds like a bad 02 sensor...hopefully. It isnt throwing a light is a little wierd, but I had a fried sensor in my ps header and that never through a code, cheanged it and my mpg jumped from 16mpg to almost 20 in the city.

Im in the process of just reaplcing things one at a time (it sucks) to fix my cars hesitation...I realy hope its not fuel pump.

speaking of that, maybe fuel filter?

Comment

yeah that's what's throwing me for a loop too -- no codes. definitely gonna get the sensors on the headers checked out to see if that's the problem, and my only other guess would be a bad fuel filter like you said. funny thing is, the car is tuned so it doesn't run so rich, and i'm seeing no drop in performance other than the slight bit of power lost from the header leak.

i've done a full tune up as of the fall, all new exhaust and intake upgrades with bolt ons, and i keep her maintained really well since it's not my DD anymore, so this is very odd. until now the only problem i've had is just the passenger gasket.

sigpic

Comment

A dying O2 sensor may not necessarily throw a code. It's only going to throw a code when it gets so bad that it exceeds the parameters in the PCM, allowing a code to be set. When they get old they start to get lazy and don't switch as fast as they should. It may still be switching fast enough to avoid the code, but not fast enough to run at the optimal AFR. IMO a sudden drop in mileage and old O2's means it's time to replace the O2's. Try replacing the old one and see if things improve. You're not wasting any money anyway since it's probably time to replace it anyway. The only way you can test it though is with a scan tool so you can see how fast it's switching. To have that diagnosis done, it's probably cheaper to just replace the sensor.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Could be your fuel pump or MAF dude.
                  Leonard
                  www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X