valve knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve knock

help me out guys yesterday my car started to make a pretty loud knock, the piston is hitting one of the valves im guessing.
    whats my possible causes and how can i fix it. i was told it could be a sticking lifter or that the rod is bent.
    i would like to get this fixed asap cause i need my car, im currently borrowing my mother's. i have friends that can help me rebuild it i just need to know what is broken
    thanks

Last edited by savagecamaro96; 03-02-2010, 04:26 PM.

Re: valve knock

You're really gonna have to start tearing down the engine to find out what happened. Unless you have a boroscope to stick in one of the spark plug holes.. You should do a compression check on each of your cylinders to maybe rule out a bent valve. Could be a spun bearing too.

If a bearing is spun or if a piston is hitting one of the valves the piston could be damaged and it may be time and cost effective to look for a new engine.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Probably a spun bearing. Even if it did spin a bearing, chances are low that the piston hit the valve. There is enough room on a 3.4 for the timing chain to break and the valves not hit the piston. Don't know about a 3.8, but on a 350 Pontiac V-8, there is enough room also. If it is a knock like you say, I would lay money on a bad bearing. Valves won't knock, just clatter. Usually lose of compression and run bad.

Comment

Yeah I was just thinking.. the only way an valve could really be hitting a piston other than the timing chain breaking, would be valve float or a broken valve spring. And I highly doubt it's valve float. And your car seems to run so it don't think your timing chain is broken. So like Opontee said, i'm leaning towards a bearing too.

It's definitely a knock and not ticks right?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Opontee View Post
          Usually lose of compression and run bad.
          definately doing that, also i found out todat that its relatively quiet when its cold but it gets worse as the engine heats up

video will be up soon
          Last edited by savagecamaro96; 03-02-2010, 03:41 PM.

Comment

video in the first post, and yes it is snowing.

Comment

i dont have sound, but if your valve was hitting a piston your engine would have probably quit running by now and smoking like crazy

Comment

Sounds like a spun bearing to me. Go on youtube and compare it yourself. Running low on oil lately?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I would check your balancer first though , it will make that same knocking sound when it dry rottted and throwing the crankshaft out of balance. Its worth a try anyways. Mine made that knocking sound when my balancer was dry rotted out inside.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If that's the case I would assume the knocking sound comes from the balancer, correct? If so, get a length of hose and carefully hold it near the balancer while listening at the other end. Maybe you'll get lucky.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

If you have an automatic tranny pull the torque converter cover and check your converter bolts if they loosen it will make a loud knocking sound. I got a free car once for this reason. Also check your flexplate for cracks this can also make a loud ticking sound. I would check everything on the outside first before diving inside.

Comment

Yes that sounds a lot like a spun rod bearing. I have done that many times before on various engines. Mostly b/c I let it run low of oil. And a few times the oil pump screen had trash in it.

Comment

its not low on oil i change it every 3k
                          it only makes the sound after it had warmed up or when it is reved up

Comment

check engine light was on, got the code, p0305
                            cylinder 5 misfire, i guess that rules out the balancer and the flexplate.

Comment

ah **** it, it died, wont even turn over, looks like im looking for a new car now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X