Gas gauge jumps around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas gauge jumps around

Well when I got a full tank, it reads full. When I get anywhere below half a tank it jumps around everywhere. Not sure if its a short or maybe the sending unit. Anyone else have this problem?

Re: Gas gauge jumps around

welcome to fbodies, its pretty common. its usually the sending unit.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

Mine has been showing full the whole time recently until its low then it shows empty. Sometimes it shows empty if i let it idle for like 5 min. Would that be the float?
      sigpic

Comment

don't trust the gauge..just know how many miles you can go on a tank and go off that..or do what i do, don't let it get below the 1/4 mark.
        1. that's better for the pump, will keep it cooler
        2. you won't get stranded

Comment

yeah i'm just gonna wait till I need a fuel pump before trying to fix this. Its alot of work to drop the gas tank just for this.

Comment

mine does pretty much the same thing in the 3.8, but not the ls1...

the 6 will jump around all over the gauge if i'm taking a sharp turn or merging in traffic, or if the car isn't level, but the Z will stay pretty firmly where it's at. i'm used to it.
            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by akcamaro02 View Post
              don't trust the gauge..just know how many miles you can go on a tank and go off that..or do what i do, don't let it get below the 1/4 mark.
              1. that's better for the pump, will keep it cooler
              2. you won't get stranded
              X2, I noticed since I rasied my car back up to where the rear is higher than the front it reads alot better , but will stay about 3/4 mark for along time ,then drop down to 1/4 mark quickly and stay until it finally reaches the bottom empty which there is about 1 gal left when I fill up. But I watch how many miles driven mostly, when it reaches 300 mile mark I will refill.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X