lifters "bleeding down"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifters "bleeding down"

'99 Firebird V6 134000 miles, when I start up the car in the morning and periodically in the afternoon after work I hear a knock for about 30 - 60 seconds then it goes away. Took the car to the shop I frequent and was told that the lifters are bleeding down. Their fix is to either replace the engine or the lifters on the other hand they said that since it only happens on statup just to drive it and it could last forever. So, wanting a 2nd opinion I called the speedshop where my son has all the work done on his 99 FB and was told that one thing I could try is to use a higher viscosity oil such as 20W50, planning to give that a try tomorrow, it's due an oil change anyway but will be taking it to his mechanic to have it looked at this weekend. Does anyone have any other advice?

Chris

Re: lifters "bleeding down"

That does sound like lifters. No the engine should NOT be replaced if it is indeed just the lifters. The lifters are not that hard to replace if you must have the sound gone. You can get all new ones for around $150 (Comp Cams OE lifters). My car does the same exact thing. It has done this for 40k miles. So I would not worry about it. The shop is right by saying to just drive it. It could possibly one day go away. Alot of times the lifters get things in them that cause them to do this.

Comment

Depending on where you live matters whether or not 20w-50 should be used. If you live in a hot climate place it will be fine but if you live wheres it frequently cold I would not.

Comment

Originally posted by Choppers View Post
        Depending on where you live matters whether or not 20w-50 should be used. If you live in a hot climate place it will be fine but if you live wheres it frequently cold I would not.
        Thanks for both replies. I live in central Texas and it's 'usually' warm even this time of year but with all this 'global warming' it's been a pretty cold winter so I'm guessing that 20w-50 would be ok?

Chris

Comment

Yea Steve runs 20-50 and lives in Texas so i think ou are good to go. Maybe in the winter switch to a lower weight but in The summer I don't see why you couldn't run that weight.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X