Question about pulling engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about pulling engine.

Well as some of you know Im about to do a cam swap I have everything I need, Im going to pull the motor to do the swap so I also can fix my rear main seal while im there that just started leaking a few weeks ago, so Ive heard its way easier to drop it from the bottom then pull it from the top, so I did a seach to look to see if anyone has done a write up just so I can reasearch it a little since I have never dropped a motor from the bottom before but I havnt found anything if someone can post a link to one or something that would be great, thanks guys.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Re: Question about pulling engine.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

This one's pretty good...
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

If I was in a driveway, out the top all day long. If you have a lift and space, out the bottom. I could break down the top of the engine in under a half hour. Just pull the MAP sensor, fuel rails, front accessories, intake manifolds, unbolt the trans, and out it goes.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

As far as dropping it out the bottom, it should be as easy as disconnecting any lines up top (like fuel), 6 bolts on the K frame, and 4 bolts up top on each shock tower. I do believe you would have to undo the brake lines as well.

I just did my K frame swap and was looking at how hard it would be to pull the motor, and it didnt look too bad. (I was 95% of the way there), the only thing that I dont know about is how you pull the motor out from under the car once it is on the floor, and how you would go about lifting it back up so that you could line the bolts up and get her in place again after. I was thinking to pull it out though you could probably hook up an ATV/winch to the bottom frame and pull it out...

edit: I forgot to mention that you will either have to pull the trans with it as well, or you will have to unbolt the tranny from the engine before you pull it (Which is exactly what is involved in doing the rear main to begin with)...to drop the trans with the engine it would most likely have to be supported, unbolt the trans mount, and the rear of the driveshaft, I think that is it...not 100% sure though.
        Last edited by LETZRIDE; 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I think unless you are just wanting to pull the motor you are wasting time. You could just unbolt the tranny and do it this way and save time.

Comment

Negative. I need to replace my rear main seal, and the only way to do that is to have the motor out, so since I need to do that and Im doing a cam swap, might as well pull the motor to do everything that way I can also check my clutch and fly wheel and all that **** to, while Im there I might as well make sure everything is ok so I dont have to do it again.
            3M MAFIA
            ________
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              the only thing that I dont know about is how you pull the motor out from under the car once it is on the floor, and how you would go about lifting it back up so that you could line the bolts up and get her in place again after. I was thinking to pull it out though you could probably hook up an ATV/winch to the bottom frame and pull it out...

We have two 3 ton floor jacks we could set under there and once everything is loose let them down and slide them out, we were thinking about welding up some device to cradle the motor with the floor jacks.
              3M MAFIA
              ________
              sigpic

Comment

It's your car work yourself twice is hard is all I am going to say. This can all be done when replacin rear main(in car)

Comment

did you look at that link I posted... it addresses most of the issues mentioned in this thread
                  Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                  Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

the real main seal can be accessed with the motor in the car still

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
                      Negative. I need to replace my rear main seal, and the only way to do that is to have the motor out, so since I need to do that and Im doing a cam swap, might as well pull the motor to do everything that way I can also check my clutch and fly wheel and all that **** to, while Im there I might as well make sure everything is ok so I dont have to do it again.
                      pulling the motor is not the only way to do that...you can pull the transmission and slide it back like most people do. You can check my thread in the advanced section for info on pulling the transmission. I've put this onhold myself for a bit because its too f'n cold to do more work over here.

Motor also doesn't have to come out for the cam swap.

Keep in mind that if you do pull the motor, it weighs about 450lbs, and I believe the tranny is 250-350lbs somewhere in that range...probably not the easiest thing to move around...

Comment

Hi good sir,
                        I just logged on here and seen that you posted a thread regarding engine removal from your camaro. I can tell you first hand that i actually have done it through the top and through the bottom. Im pretty car oriented and welll....pulling that engine out the top of probably the most difficult thing ive ever had to do on a car.

The biggeST issue you face whilst doing this task is getting the damn engine off the k member, WHich involves taking the bolts out of the mounts and getting a tool and a wrist to get in there is a feat in itself. BEFORE you do all that you Have to disconnect the tranny from the engine and HONESTLY, don't even attempt this unless you loosin the sub frame bolts and jack the front of the engine up because its NEARLY impossible to reach the top part of the tranny EVEN with a 4 foot extension, a swivel and a ratchet. and then you gotta take the hood off, and somehow get the motor to clear the k member as you pull it forward then out.

LET ME TELL YOU! :twak:^^^^that is not the way to do it..its litterally an epic fail of common knowledge.

NOW. doing it through the bottom HA! :Dwelll..its much much much easier doing it this way.. seems more problematic but its actually much better. it just take a little brain, and alot of preparation as far as having the right tools and doing it all safely.

You'll need a way to pull the body off the engine.
                        you'll need to pull the engine out from under the body (so you can work on it)
                        You'll need to have a way to lift the engine off the k member so you can look it over. change whatever you gotta change.

You can also take the tranny off the engine and inspect everything with it out from Underneath the car. you will have much better lighting this way.

^^^^you can do all that.

or you can just bust your *** and do it the first way, but expect to have a sore back,neck,arms and hands in the morning. :cry:
                        Last edited by thedetailman; 02-16-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I second that...When I was doing the K swap, it looked pretty easy to pull it out the bottom...minus the fact that I busted the two rear bolts and it took me 10.5 hours and a drill handle to the face to get the old bolts out. But you could drop the trans and engine as a whole and reach all bolts easily while it is out of the car.

Use an engine hoist to lift the frame of the car itself off of the K member. You'll need a couple of jacks.

When I think about it, I would actually jack the front of the car up, put a couple of jacks under the K member firmly...go ahead and undo all 6 K frame bolts, double check if you need to undo the the steering pump/lines etc (I didnt pay much attention to that) Undo the brake lines...then set the car back down...go around up top undo the fuel lines, and the upper shock mounts...then hook the hoist to the front of the car itself and begin lifting it slowly...have someone look underneath (but not get under the car!!) to make sure that you do not snag anything on the way up. It may take a bit with the pry bar to break loose some things slowly and carefully, but you should be able to just lift the car right off the engine.

Comment

Our engines are simply a ***** to work on while in the car... if you have a hoist or even better, access to a lift, just drop the engine out of the bottom and work on it there... that's my advice... if you follow the steps in that link I gave you, and ask questions on here if you are fuzzy on anything bc I know I have done it recently and a bunch of others have done it also...

I've also removed the engine from the top, it's not too bad if you're planning on taking the engine apart anyway, but I will never do it that way again that's for sure
                            Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X