Oil Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Questions

I got all the gaskets that I need to replace on my car. I got the oil pan gasket along with the pickup screen that goes in the oil pan. Also got a rear main seal. When I was at Oreilys i picked up 5 quarts of Royal Purple Oil with a K&N oil filter for $39.99. I heard sometimes coolant gets into you motor when replacing the rear main seal. Should I throw in some castrol and cheap filter and run it for a few days then drain it and put this Royal Purple in after that? Or should i just throw this Royal Purple in it when I am done and call it a day?

Thanks for the input guys and girls.

Re: Oil Questions

yeah if you replace the rear cover gasket with the rear main seal which i recommend doing. then yes the water will drain from the block and get into the oil pan when you pull the cover off. careful because it will get you too. As for the replacement of the oil if you drain the oil and do the change before you start the car again you'd be fine with just the one oil change. because the contaminated oil is only in the pan.

Comment

I guess I will do the rear main first and hen take the oil pan off an clean that up then I will be good to go. Yea I am doing all the rear main stuff. Do it once and do it right.

Comment

Save your old oil you drain when doing the job, and maybe if you have the old oil from the change before.. Leave the drain plug open and use the oil oil to flush down the heads on both sides.
        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Does anyone know what size wrench socket you need to remove the oil plug bolt?

Comment

15mm or 13mm. My stock one was 15mm and the replacement was 13mm.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 11-21-2011, 04:51 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X