bought a fuel pump that has a small black hose. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bought a fuel pump that has a small black hose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a fuel pump that has a small black hose.

bought this fuel pump off ebay brand new with a lifetime warranty.
    suppose to fit 98-02 3.8 camaro/firebird

its for my 3.8

i guess some of the camaros with have a placer on the bottom of the sending unit for this black hose to attach to. my sending unit doesnt have one. so what are my options. i help it up out of the tank and gas just comes out of it. i held my finger of it and it still wouldnt work. the car just starts then shuts off after 2 seconds. i let it just point downwards out of the plastic case and it still wont stay cranked.

update..
    from what i understand. this pump is for the later models.. a 98v6 and earlier is different.

i held the pump up out of the tank while someone started the car and gas comes out of the the regular see-thru hose and out of the small black hose.. so i guess its not a breather hose.

i'd hate to waste 50 on another pump if i can make this one work. its hooked up right now but the car will just start and shut off after 2 seconds.

heres the instructions

Ok, here is our install guide that is posted on our ebay store home page.

This will show you exactly where these hoses go.

As previously stated, our fuel pump kit will ONLY fit the OEM Delphi assembly. It will not fit any aftermarket assemblies.

Re: bought a fuel pump that has a small black hose.

That little black hose might cause an issue. I installed a similar pump in a tahoe and it didn't run at all. Check the fuel pressure in the fuel line and there was not enough pressure being produced. So I returned it and got one with out that little black line.
    Last edited by insaneABOT; 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Apparently that's a return line. I replaced my fuel pump in my 98 and it did not have one. I have had no issues. You have the wrong pump.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

yup you have the wrong pump. I thought someone else on this site just made this same mistake?

Comment

well i bought it on ebay.. it said for only 99-02.. but i figured they made a typo.
          didnt know 98 was different.
          my 97 camaro n 98 firebird use the same pump..

i tried to block the black hose off but it didnt do nothing. still shut off.
          wasnt sure if its the pump or something else wrong with the car.. was gonna try the pump on my 93z28.

only paid 15 for it. got 2 cuz u thought i was getting a deal. guess i'll sell them on craigslist. the 98 pump is 50.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
            yup you have the wrong pump. I thought someone else on this site just made this same mistake?
            you might've seen my post on ls1tech.com

anyways.. my options are to get a sending unit from a 99-02 i guess. or buy a 98 pump.

Comment

the black hose wasnt the problem. for some reason i used the old fuel line hose and i had problems getting it on (used a heat gun and an oil to help).. but i used some plyers to help put the hose on and it dug a hole into the plastic fuel line. so it changed the hose to a new one and it works fine now. it works with the black hose plugged but i didnt wanna burn the pump up so i put the hose back on. it just drains back into the fuel tank.

Comment

Why does this seem like a bad idea? I'm not saying it's not a bad idea since I've only dealt with a correct 98 replacement, but it just doesn't seem copacetic. How's your fuel pressure look doing this?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X