Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my a/c compressor bad?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and hope you can help. My a/c stopped working suddenly one day. I thought it needed freon so I went to charge it. Well the compressor never engaged so I could not get it to take a charge. The guage on my charging kit showed it was full at 45 psi. So I then put 12 volts to the compressor and it engaged but still would not blow cold and it still showed 45psi and would not take any more freon.

I've checked the fuses and relays and they are fine. Is the compressor bad? It's ony 2 years old and 15k miles since it was replaced. Any suggestions on what to check next? Thanks.

It's a 1994 3.4

Pat
    Last edited by Cool81z28; 02-02-2010, 09:10 AM.

Re: Is my a/c compressor bad?

Did the lines get cold at all once it engaged? How long did you leave it engaged for?

Comment

None of the lines got cold. I left it engaged for about 10 minutes while trying to see if it would take freon.

Comment

The only thing I can think of is the swash plate inside the compressor broke, preventing the pistons from compressing the freon. So it's basically freewheeling. You could try this: Take off the belt, and with the engine off, apply the 12 volts to engage the compressor. Then try turning the pulley by hand. If it turns fairly easily, that's probably the issue. I wouldn't think that a compressor would be turnable by hand if it was working properly.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Yea it sounds like its quit pumping inside then. Chances are a new compressor is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
            The only thing I can think of is the swash plate inside the compressor broke, preventing the pistons from compressing the freon. So it's basically freewheeling. You could try this: Take off the belt, and with the engine off, apply the 12 volts to engage the compressor. Then try turning the pulley by hand. If it turns fairly easily, that's probably the issue. I wouldn't think that a compressor would be turnable by hand if it was working properly.

The compressor turns freely when it is engaged. It doesn't seem to have any compression. I guess I'll replace it.

The salvage yards around here sell them for around $80-$90 and they warranty them for 30 days. Should I avoid used ones and spend the $200 on a new one or are they worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
              yo ca turn the compressor by and quite easily

Comment

I don't like buying parts like this used. Sometimes compressors center seal will start leaking but it could take it longer than a month to run out of freon and you wouldn't ever know until it did. Then you would buy another one and it would equal the cost if you had bought a new one to begin with. Hope my opinions help you out. Also make sure if you replace the compressor you put in a new orfice tube and dryer. This is the correct way to do it. I would also get the a/c flush and flush all the lines. Do it once and be done with it. It would be like a brand new system almost. Don't forget to get the oil for compressor and system.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

Thanks Choppers. I agree with you. I'll do it right the first time and be done with it. I'll post a follow up when it's done.

Comment

I also agree, a junkyard compressor is probably pretty old and may start to leak soon. From my experience, they start to leak at the front seal at about 10 years old, whether you have used them or not.
                    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X