If any of you have heard of this happening.. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If any of you have heard of this happening..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If any of you have heard of this happening..

Then you already know more than I do. Need some help guys! A few months ago I had some one replace my ac compressor. When he did it I had to come back 3 times cause the firt 2 times he put in the NAPA brand and for some reason it did not want to work.(it caught fire and snapped my belt..) well when he finally put on a new ac delco it worked fine had no problems at all. Well yesterday I get out of my car because I hear a weird noise and I see the pulley for the compressor bent, rubbing against the oil filter. Wtf? How did that happen? Any body?

Re: If any of you have heard of this happening..

im betting its NOT the ac compressor, but something else is off, what condition is the tensioner in?

do all of the pulleys line up? is your mechanic routing the belt correctly?

Comment

Well I'm pretty sure everything was fine when he put it on cause I had been driving it for several months with no problems. However the tensioner did make some weird noises. Could that cause it? If so then why isn't something else messed up?

Comment

Your best bet is to post a picture of this.
        sigpic

Comment

PM'd
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
            PM'd
            Replied sir..

Comment

sounds like he didnt put all the bolt in to mount the ac compressor right

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

He probably did something like that. I just got it towed to my house today so I'm gonna look at it tonight. I guess if the pulley itself is all that's bent then its defective, but if the whole thing is loose then its his fault. Well folks this goes to show, don't take your car to a lube shop. Only reason I did is cuz I thought I got a good deal

Comment

well I looked at it. the damn bracket that the compressor is bolted to snapped and it was hanging on by the hoses. other than that and the belt id say everything is fine. anyone think Ill need to evacuate the freon or can I leave the compressor on?

edit: I didnt realize that bracket isnt easy to find. any one might know where I could get it besides the junk yard?
                  Last edited by The Unknown 7; 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM.

Comment

a gm dealership that stocks parts

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Check out the pic I attached... Is your broken like the ones in the pic?

My AC compressor has been snapping that mount for a couple years now. It's embarrassing to admit it, but I have just been replacing the bracket each time (About $35 from the dealer). I have been super broke and could not afford another AC Compressor. Mine just like yours was only a few years old. I kept the last 2 mounts and my Fathers welder is going to weld them back together as backups in case this happens AGAIN, which it will.

Obviously my AC compressor is off balance and needs replacement. I did see somewhere somebody talking about replacing just the AC compressor clutch and wondering if that is all that I may need. If anyone knows about this please let us know.

Good luck and know that if you just replace the bracket/mount that it will more than likely break again.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Do you have the rear bracket on the compressor too?
                        sigpic

Comment

I hate to admit ignorance, but I did not know there was a rear bracket! Dang I will have to check that out. When mine breaks it always just hangs there by the hose, oh and by the metal hose clamp/strap I ran up to the engine lift bracket down to the compressor for added support. From memory I do not remember a rear bracket...

Just looked at the compressors on the autozone web site and it doesn't look like there is a rear bracket... Mine is a 97 so maybe a bit different. Too cold today to get under the car and look but I will definitely be checking for that next time I change the oil.
                          Last edited by Joey41; 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

The rear bracket would not come with a replacement compressor. It would bolt to the side of the block and go to a bolt hole on the back of the compressor. It's not in a place I can get a picture of, but it uses a 13 MM bolt to the back of the compressor.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey all. Got the bracket from the dealer. And just what yall are saying, there's a front and rear bracket. The front bracket alone isnt enough to hold the compressor, the strain of the belt will eventual snap it like a wishbone, like mine did. The compressor was hanging on by the belt and orifice tube. The rear bracket, like the other dude said, is right by the ground wire going into the block. and its a 13 mm. I believe there's 2 bolts but I could only find one Im gonna keep looking today. thanks for the input though guys

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X