Broken Gas Gauge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Gas Gauge!

Hey guys, so my gas gauge hasnt been working within the past 2 year. it'll read empty after filling full tank/read full when driven over 300 miles. I believe it may be my fuel sending unit. Just curious as to if anyone has any insight/advice/maybe even a estimate of what i need to replace it and how much it will cost. Im not sure if this is a do it your self thing because Im assuming the gas tank has to be dropped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, im doing a 3000 mile road rally this summer across america with over 50 cars, and i dont want to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere due to a faulty gauge. Thanks!
    Robby
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
    sigpic

Re: Broken Gas Gauge!

I'm having the same problem man, I just put $10 in it every time I go anywhere and it works out. If yours is like mine the needle will jump around some but the "check gauges" light will come on when your really about to run out of gas. I figured I'm just gonna keep doing that until the fuel pump goes and do it all then. Just watch that light and you got like 18 miles till empty.

Comment

yea you need a fuel pump module. The whole assembly as the gas gauge sending unit is built into the side of the fuel pump housing with the float. So the tank will either have to be dropped or the trap door method performed where you cut an access hole in the car to get to it.
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Cut a trap door.

Comment

Just me, but I'd check the voltage/resistance at the guage to be sure it's not the guage before cutting a hole in the car (or dropping the tank).

It really is awefully dark inside the tank to see how full it is... just keep some matches in the glovebox to help you see how full it is.

Comment

cheak your sevice engine soon light if its got a funky resistance or voltage the computer will pick up on it cause its part of the emission system . aka swap the float from a diff pump or put a new fuel pump and if u got any dec. amount of miles on the pump just change it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X