3.8L - No Start Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3.8L - No Start Condition

I'll suggest using compressed air and blow the accumulated sand and dirt found on the tank cover so it wont fall into the fuel tank upon removing the pump.

Wiggling the pump out, trying to beat the clock as the sun is setting on me.

Fuel pump out and bucket assembly separated. Off to get the new pump motor. $209 at Autozone. Needed it asap so I can go to work after the weekend. Halfway done now...:D
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

just changed the fuel pressure regulator took to little bit time like 3 hours but got it done have not started it yet waitng for the jump pac to charge back up then give it a try. keep me posted on your progress 96rs and i do the same

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        I'm betting thats it gonna be the fuel pump.
        :rock:IT WAS THE FUEL PUMP!!!:rock:

I had to snip some extra panel off and bend away to expose the metal fuel pressure lines. Them plastic line locking couplers gave me a bad time but now I am definitely sure they are secure and tight. No leaks observed at all.

Turned the key to ON, fuel pump gave me a nice hum of approval. Motor fired up at ignition. Kick A$$...:tup:

Now I have to design a sheet metal cover and bolt it down over RTV with sheet metal screws. Stay tuned...
        Last edited by 96RS Alex; 01-16-2010, 06:07 PM.
        Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

awesome, I'm glad you got it fixed. Looks like you do good detailed work! Thanks for posting all the pics, i'm sure it will come in handy for other people as well. :cool:
          2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
          Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Comment

I picked up a small piece of sheet metal from home depot and cut it just a bit larger than the whole and sealed it with a non hardening caulk. and sheet metal screws
            Last edited by travis5049; 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

going to replace the relay tommorow

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                awesome, I'm glad you got it fixed. Looks like you do good detailed work! Thanks for posting all the pics, i'm sure it will come in handy for other people as well. :cool:
                It wasn't that hard to do as long as you follow the detailed work done by others. Afterwards I took it out for a long cruise to check for leaks, so far so good! Screw dropping the axle, I just did the rear brakes recently. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by travis5049 View Post
                  I picked up a small piece of sheet metal from home depot and cut it just a bit larger than the whole and sealed it with a non hardening caulk. and sheet metal screws
                  I had this idea of using 2 sided velcro for the top sheet metal door to make a quick trap door for the rectangular hole. Pros & Cons ?

Comment

good job 96rs nice work going to try and get minds to start today

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex View Post
                      I had this idea of using 2 sided velcro for the top sheet metal door to make a quick trap door for the rectangular hole. Pros & Cons ?
                      For safety I would use either caulk (silicone or RTV works well) or dense foam weatherstripping to make sure no fumes get in.
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I'll seal it with RTV and bolt it down. No need to jeopardize my riding experience breathing in exhaust fumes. So far no fumes of the unleaded kind though. Thanks Rob.

Feels good to save a ton of money doing it by myself I'll add.

Comment

Definitely. I had to have mine replaced at a dealer since I was 120 miles from home. Cost me $1100 plus hotel and rental car.
                          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X