Is the L32 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the L32 worth it?

Hey all. I'll be quick and cut to the chase.
    I have always wanted a firebird. My cavalier is on it's last legs and I've been looking around, and a local dealership has a '94 automatic V6 for sale. About $4,000, and mechanicaly it seems okay. On the other hand, the interior is trashed. The radio is completly broken, the center console is damaged, the power windows are laggy, the dash has a large tear/hole in the center, the headliner is sagging, and the A/C is missing the knob to turn it on, so I couldn't check it. IF I check it out again and find it's sound mechanicaly, and want to buy it, about how much am I looking at to fix up the interior? Should I ask for a better deal? Maybe $2,000?
    Wasn't sure which forum to post it in, figured the need for repairs made it general.

Thanks for your time.
    -Artos<br />Teal \'99 Camaro, A4<br />No mods... yet

Unless you're a hog farmer, why would you buy a pig like that for any price? The condition of the interior will pretty much tell you how the mechanical maintenance was handled.

Keep looking - lots of good F's out there.
    95Camaro3.4T5Conv Red/White*SLP Bilsteins*BMR Tower Brace*CAI*NiehoffIgn*NGK PlatPlugs*DelcoHiPerfWires*FlowmasterCatback*RedDe vilReso(no cat)* DynoMax Muffler*B & M Shifter*Eurolite Lamps*Yokohama Avid 235/55/16*GM 3.73s*Auburn LSD*Sirius*All DONE!

Comment

There is no way I would pay $4000 for a 3.4 in that kind of condition. For 3500-4000 you can find a 3.8 that is in pretty good shape and probably around 100k miles. V6 f-bodys don't hold a very good price. Especially pre 98 models and in the winter no less.

Comment

Publican is right. If the interior is that messed up, there is no way the motor was kept up. Keep looking.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Thanks for the input. That's what my gut was telling me, but I still had the little voice saying "it might be doable".

In general, (and this was the big question I forgot to ask), and from a performance standpoint, I take it buying a slightly older car with a 3.4 would make no sense when a 3.8 can be had for 3-4k?
          -Artos<br />Teal \'99 Camaro, A4<br />No mods... yet

Comment

Depends. I'm a Camaro guy so don't know a lot about the Birds.

IMHO, the best years were 1993 to 1997. In 1998, GM made major changes to the front appearance, I think to the detriment of the car. They did this just as Ford figured out that retro was the way to go as the boomers (that's your granpa & me)-over 50's- wanted cars again that reminded them of the glory days. The rest is history - bloody Mustangs on every corner, and our beloveds gone to car heaven. The General strikes again! They should rename the bloody company Custer Motors.

In 1995 they broght back the convertible for the first time in a long time. Had integrated sub-frame stiffners, so was the best driving Camaro covertible ever. Had 3.4 engine.

1996 the 3.8 engine became standard.

Again, IMOH, the best Camaro V6's were the 1996 and 1997 convertible w/manual transmission. I went for the 3.4 1995 as it was the first year of the 4th gen roadster, and it was not my intention to 1/4 mile it, but rather to concentrate on suspension; gearing; brakes & tires etc. for a spectacular touring car. It was one of only 7,000 or so built - in showroom condition.

It's almost done - 3.73's in garage to instal; putting in power windows (no other power accessories), and am working on sourcing a LSD. -then gone gone gone!

Keep looking - good ones are out there - don't succumb to the Ford disease.

Good luck.
            95Camaro3.4T5Conv Red/White*SLP Bilsteins*BMR Tower Brace*CAI*NiehoffIgn*NGK PlatPlugs*DelcoHiPerfWires*FlowmasterCatback*RedDe vilReso(no cat)* DynoMax Muffler*B & M Shifter*Eurolite Lamps*Yokohama Avid 235/55/16*GM 3.73s*Auburn LSD*Sirius*All DONE!

Comment

It is much easier to get parts for the 3.8. It's a good motor with good internals.

The 3.4 is a strong motor and usually lasts a long time. Parts are harder to find (but doable); however, if you upgrade too much getting it tuned can get pricey.

If you don't plan on going nuts on upgrades, buy based on the looks you like best. Go to the appearance section and look at some pics to see what people have done with different years/models.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Artos.If you're looking for power go on a Z28. You may get it for a little more than $4,000.
                Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

v8 or v6 if you look you will find a car in better shape then that for that kind of money.

that car is in the $1k range imo, if in good shape, $2500-3k tops
                  -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

I was actually considering selling my car in an attempt to buy an 01-02 LS1, would probably part with it for $6500 or so. Not bad considering the mods and condition of the car, and only 30k on the engine. Low miles LS1's run $19k-22k and up usually.
                    I wouldn't buy an LT1 with high miles unless you know the owner and have some money for maintenance, the optispark distributors have a BAD reputation and cost $400+ to replace. Just my .02
                    1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.9L<br /><br /> - TSP Dyno Tuned<br /> - Bored 0.040<br /> - ARP Rod Bolts / Head Studs<br /> - Custom CAI<br /> - Pacesetter Ceramic Headers / !Cat<br /> - 3\" Catback w/SLP Firehawk Muffler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312</a>

Comment

average ls1s seem to be in the $8k-18k range...

I think you can do better then that car for $4k. I think you could do as good as a 97 3.8L maybe in decent condition for $4k.
                      -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by cboney2003:
                        I wouldn't buy an LT1 with high miles unless you know the owner and have some money for maintenance, the optispark distributors have a BAD reputation and cost $400+ to replace. Just my .02
                        nothing wrong with high milage lt1s, id worry more about the car itself falling apart before i worried about the motor. if its decently taken care of it will see 200k+. opti-craps do have a bad reputation, im still not sure what gm was thinking when they came up with that idea(looks good on paper i guess)

Artos- keep looking, there is no way in hell that car is worth 4000,3000, or even 2000 in that kind of condition.

keep looking. if you plan on modding go 3.8. not that you cant mod a 3.4 but tuning is readily available for 3.8s

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                        Or this

Comment

Put it this way...(if you have'nt picked up on it already...)

tax title, plates and etc on my 98 3.8L was $4456.86 out the door with a fresh wash and wax, aftermarket headunit (just needed harness) and maintained quite well. No serious problems at all as of yet with the exception of the plug wires which are typical considering it was a 92k car.
                          3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

i got my 96 with 85k on it for 3200.. interior is perfect.. little bit of road debris damage onthe front..

i'd say keep looking
                            96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

i got my 97 3.8 with tha ss rims an cat back for $4500 bought a year an half ago
                              97 Camaro 3.8 5 speed<br />Cat Back <br />SS rims<br /><br />Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X