Belt slips off when wet...ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt slips off when wet...ideas?

Just wondering if anyone else had seen this.

I have a 2001 V6 Firebird w/ ~85K miles. I changed the serpentine belt about 20K miles ago and it is still in good shape.

whenever it rains (not everytime, but has done so 4 times in the past 6 months) and water splashes up under the hood, the serp belt comes off.

I figure the cheapest 'fix' is to get a new belt but I'm not sure that is the only issue.

Suggestions?

Thx!!!

Re: Belt slips off when wet...ideas?

Its probably the tensioner is going bad.

Comment

the tensioner is still pretty stiff when I put the 15 MM on it to push it down to get the belt on.....not sure how else to check it for deterioration.

Thx for the input...

Comment

Any other pulleys feel a little too loose? And what size belt are you running?

Slipping or falling belts in wet conditions tends to point toward the tensioner. But if you're sure it's not that, let's try to rule out any other pulleys.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Pace...I just have the stock belt on...didn't upgrade when I replaced it.

I will check the rest of the pulleys....for out of alignment or other issue. I'm just trying to make sure I fix the correct thing the first time....

when the belt is on, everything looks to be spinning normally, but i will take a closer look.

Again, thanks to all for the input!

Comment

X2 on the tensioner.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Just replace the tensioner as stated above.

Comment

yea its probably the tensioner, remember that is a special part and with mine i had to order a new one at about the same mileage as you. it was pricey but its better than having the belt keep slipping off.

Comment

the bearings in the tensioner are probably bad, making it wobble.

Comment

Originally posted by Opontee View Post
                    the bearings in the tensioner are probably bad, making it wobble.
                    no......

Anyways, just in case it turns out that the tensioner is not to blame, double check the alignment of all the pulleys together. Make sure nothing is a little off kilter. But I'm with everyone else on the tensioner idea.
                    Last edited by Blizzard242; 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Thx everyone...I really appreciate the input. I will replace the tensioner..but keep my 15MM wrench in back just in case!!

Comment

Bearing in pulley appeard to be fine. I got the new tensioner assy today...what a convuleted piece! Why would you incorporate the water flow w/ this piece? Oh well....will replace this weekend while the weather is $hitty here in Texas......

$100 for this Gates part....Autozone had a Duralast for $60....but it just seemed ....brittle...

Comment

sorry I had to say it, but

Stop using too much lube :D
                          Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

Got he new one on...had to use a little lube for the plastic elbows / rubber rings (motorheadftop...I like lots of lube..:naughty:).

Wasn't nearly as difficult as it looked like it could be. I did about mess my drawers when the plastic elbow broke off in the block under the TB....pried it out w/ a thin screwdriver.

Now, let it rain!

Comment

I just did this myself last weekend. The elbows broke off in no less than 12 pieces. They always break off in the block.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X